UKC

Which wall in London for a day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 21 Oct 2013
I'm meeting a friend in London on a Sunday in November and we'd like to climb somewhere I've not been so it's new to us both. This means not climbing at Westway or the Reach.

Ideally we would be able to boulder and top rope and if top roping ideally I'd like something a bit tough to go at so in the sevens but also plenty that's about 5 ish.

I'll be arriving at liverpool street, my friend victoria so one of us will have to meet the other. happy to tube it if necessary. Want somewhere not too difficult to find either.

We have googled but wanted your advice/thoughts.
 wkrzys 21 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Castle!!!

It's not the easiest to get to, a 10 min walk from Finsbury Park, but so long as you're heading in the right direction you can't miss it and with the recent expansion it ticks all those boxes even more than it already did.

Also a great pub across the road from it where loads of people go afterwards so a bonus

OP Puppythedog 21 Oct 2013
In reply to wkrzys: Thank you, why do you prefer this one capared to the others available?
 seankenny 21 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
> (In reply to wkrzys) Thank you, why do you prefer this one capared to the others available?

It has free massage facilitiesm, a chocolate stream running through the premises, and every Saturday afternoon it rains five pound notes at exactly 4.35pm.

Or maybe it just has some nice blobs of plastic to pull on and a decent cafe.
In reply to seankenny: Do you prefer The castle too or just wanting to make a sarcy comment?
 Reach>Talent 21 Oct 2013
In reply to seankenny:
a chocolate stream running through the premises, and every Saturday afternoon it rains five pound notes at exactly 4.35pm.

I thought they had fixed the gents loos and in all fairness the rain of cash only happened once.

It does have some good bouldering though!
 Reach>Talent 21 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
Mile End is also pretty good
 seankenny 21 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

I prefer the westway, mainly for its "hunks and honeys" roller-skate espresso service which really helps when my energy is flagging.
In reply to seankenny: In fact looking at your top three posts you seem either to be hvaing a bad time or trolling (i'm being generous in assuming you're not an unpleasant chap).
 seankenny 21 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

You asked for my thoughts. I'm giving you them.
As ever, be careful what you wish for.
In reply to seankenny: Thank you for the time and effort you have put in to responding. I greteful I really am.
 seankenny 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Ha ha well yes it does. Only ruined by falling off onto a yogic north Londoner.
 seankenny 21 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

There are four major walls in central(ish) London. You've been to two, leaving two left over. Flip a coin!

Anyhow, if the Westway did have a Hooters-style cafe service, would it make you more likely to visit?
 hamsforlegs 21 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

The three major walls you haven't been to are Mile End, The Castle and The Biscuit Factory/Arch.

The Biscuit is bouldering only, and ME has only a very small roped area and lots of good bouldering.

I haven't been to Castle, but it apparently has a mix of lots of ropes and bouldering.

If I was going to 'make a day of it', I would choose Mile End for its sheer variety, size and old-school vibe, but that's a very personal thing, and it doesn't give you much in the way of top-roping potential.
 Simon4 21 Oct 2013
In reply to seankenny:

> Anyhow, if the Westway did have a Hooters-style cafe service, would it make you more likely to visit?

Remarkably expensive cafe service at the Westway.
 seankenny 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Simon4:
> (In reply to seankenny)
>
> [...]
>
> Remarkably expensive cafe service at the Westway.

It's because it used to be close to BBC HQ. All those overpaid execs went in for coffee.
i.munro 21 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Have to put in a word for West 1. Both toproping & bouldering & generally excellent setting in my experience. The bouldering area does get very warm/humid when busy but I would say that was true of every wall in central London. No cafe mind!
 seankenny 21 Oct 2013
In reply to i.munro:
> (In reply to puppythedog)
> No cafe mind!

Ah but they have an RPG launcher you can have a go on, which kind of makes up for the lack of cafe.
caver 21 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Mile End for their new top out boulder in the Secret Gaden. Brilliant.
 Jus 21 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

For your requirements, The Castle.

Nearest tube is Manor House on the Piccadilly line.
KevinD 21 Oct 2013
In reply to seankenny:

> Ha ha well yes it does. Only ruined by falling off onto a yogic north Londoner.

wear some mountain biking armour and go elbow first.
Everything can be made positive.
In reply to hamsforlegs: Thank you for your response. So if we're happy to be more boulder focussed you think a better choice.
In reply to i.munro: Thank you, the lack of cafe might swing away from it. I'll check with my chum.
i.munro 21 Oct 2013
In reply to seankenny:

> Ah but they have an RPG launcher you can have a go on, which kind of makes up for the lack of cafe.

I seem to have missed that

In reply to caver: Thank you for your response. Again it seems if bouldering is a happy preference a better place would be mile-end.
In reply to Jus: Thanks.
Castle ticks all boxes.
 seankenny 21 Oct 2013
In reply to i.munro:

Ask next time you go and tell them I sent you.
In reply to puppythedog:

Not quite London, but the White Spider has some great climbing. Get there via Clapham Jcn
 wkrzys 22 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

In my opinion the Castle now has more (and more varied) bouldering than all the other venues, except perhaps the Arch. Again, for topping the same. As for leading, its more cramped than Westway, but has some very interesting routes and a good number of them. Generally wouldn't bother with mile-end for any sort of roped climbing, the route setting is quite average and you can do them all in one visit

Also think the Castle has the most charm, not that it matters! Westway is great, but you do just feel like you are in any other gym.

Again - all personal experience, and you'll have a great time wherever you end up.
 db79 22 Oct 2013
Been to Mile End twice and didn't especially enjoy either visit. Never have I been to a more testosterone soaked wall. All that grunting, groaning and posturing made me fall off more V1s than ever before.
OP Puppythedog 22 Oct 2013
In reply to wkrzys: Thanks I think we'll make it the castle on your recomendation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...