UKC

Just finished reading -

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Little Brew 22 Oct 2013
So what are you in the middle of or Just finished...

I have just finished Ben Elton's latest - Two Brothers... WOW what a book, not my usual author but the cover caught my eye and thought why not try it, so glad I did, very thought provoking and moving in parts.

Now in need of another good book.
 Motown 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Little Brew: Just finished 'East of Eden' by John Steinbeck. Brilliant from start to finish: a class story with wonderful characters vand a enjoyably dark underbelly. First Steinbeck I've read and going back for more - just started 'Cannery Row' which also seems really good.
 ThunderCat 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Motown:
> (In reply to Little Brew) Just finished 'East of Eden' by John Steinbeck. Brilliant from start to finish: a class story with wonderful characters vand a enjoyably dark underbelly. First Steinbeck I've read and going back for more - just started 'Cannery Row' which also seems really good.

East of Eden is a great book...get yourself onto Grapes of Wrath after you've done Cannery Row.

I'm halfway through Feersum Endjinn by Iain Banks...and I'm struggling to continue with it. I just don't get it at all.

Offwidth 22 Oct 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

That’s one of my favourite ever Sci-Fi / fantasy books: stick with it as it repays effort; like a lot of Bank's novels it weaves threads slowly at first.

Most recently finished Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams which raised a waft of nostalgia and the odd giggle but was not as good as the originals. Before that Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson. I think I'm about 35 years too old to enjoy that as much as I should but it was still great fun (ideal for teenagers with a manga craze). The start where a pizza delivery boy tries to save his life by delivering a pizza to an almost impossible deadline was sheer adrenaline. Originally conceived as a graphic novel - and it shows a bit in parts - the ideas are good as you would expect but its not a patch on his Baroque Trilogy. I guess I need a big old style classic, maybe Don Quixote.
 Thrudge 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
Snow Crash is brilliant, a really exuberant novel full of ideas and surprising language. "The Deliverator's car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the Asteroid Belt".

Good point about the Baroque cycle, though - it's wonderful stuff.
 ThunderCat 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
>
> That’s one of my favourite ever Sci-Fi / fantasy books: stick with it as it repays effort; like a lot of Bank's novels it weaves threads slowly at first.
>
Well I'm halfway through. Wavered with just throwing it away last night but I'm going to stick with it...

The Bascule character is getting on my tits to be honest. Entire chapters written in phonetics / textspeak (hence the title, I'm guessing), that really slows down the pace of the book.

I'll admit to still not really knowing what the hell is going in...but I'm hoping 'all will be revealed'..!
 hokkyokusei 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

I just finished "The Death of Grass" by John Christopher and "Homeland" by Cory Doctorow. I'm currently reading "Armageddon" by Max Hastings.
 Offwidth 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor:

He was clearly having fun. It sort of reminds me of Moorcock who did it the other way round. Countless pulp fiction novels written with a nod and a wink as he flew past at near light speed on his typewriter then he suddenly became 'important' and wrote some wonderful 'serious' books.
 hokkyokusei 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

>
> That’s one of my favourite ever Sci-Fi / fantasy books: stick with it as it repays effort; like a lot of Bank's novels it weaves threads slowly at first.

One of the few SF books I've not finished and it put me right off Iain M. Banks.
 Offwidth 22 Oct 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

It does makes sense in the end.
 Al Evans 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Motown:
> (In reply to Little Brew) Just finished 'East of Eden' by John Steinbeck. Brilliant from start to finish: a class story with wonderful characters vand a enjoyably dark underbelly. First Steinbeck I've read and going back for more - just started 'Cannery Row' which also seems really good.

A Steinbeck I really enjoyed which is slightly lesser know is 'Of Mice And Men' a short book, almost a novella, but not to be missed if you are in a Steinbeck period.
In reply to Al Evans:

Another short Steinbeck that's wonderful is the novella, 'The Pearl'.
 ThunderCat 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
>
> It does makes sense in the end.

Well it better had (shakes fist)

I'll let you know!

Offwidth 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

I'd say of Mice and Men is maybe his best known in the UK as was used a lot in schools. Its a beautiful sad story but possibly a better book for teenagers.
 Offwidth 22 Oct 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

You can claim a beer from me if I'm wrong.
 ThunderCat 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Come to think of it I'v struggled to finish a lot of Ian Banks stuff...

Except the wasp factory - cos that was awesome
 Thrudge 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> He was clearly having fun. It sort of reminds me of Moorcock who did it the other way round. Countless pulp fiction novels written with a nod and a wink as he flew past at near light speed on his typewriter then he suddenly became 'important' and wrote some wonderful 'serious' books.

Agreed. I couldn't take to the pulp stuff, but Gloriana was fantastic.
 Euge 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Little Brew: Just finished ASH by James Herbert. Very disappointing

E
 RedFive 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

Enders Game........in anticipation of the forthcoming film. Which won't do it justice, but I will watch all the same.

Excellent read....ahead of its time and so I've gone straight on to Speaker of the Dead which is a sort of sequel and is very different but good so far.
 hokkyokusei 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Another short Steinbeck that's wonderful is the novella, 'The Pearl'.

... and Tortilla Flat.

In fact what has he written that's not good?
 ThunderCat 22 Oct 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
> [...]
>
> ... and Tortilla Flat.
>
> In fact what has he written that's not good?

"Travels with Charlie"

Loved everything else, but thought this wasn't that good.

Offwidth 22 Oct 2013

Never mind Steinbeck I was hoping to see Fiva on this thread.
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> Never mind Steinbeck I was hoping to see Fiva on this thread.

Well, thanks, Steve. The great news for me is that there's no sign of sales tailing off after 18 months, in fact it's increasing a bit now. Cheers.

hokkyokusei 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

>
> Never mind Steinbeck I was hoping to see Fiva on this thread.

Bad timing of the thread. I read that quite a while ago. It's well worth a read - I would have thought everyone on UKC would have know that in any case
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Yes, the signs now are that the readership is spilling outside of the climbing world. So no probs. I'll shut up now, in case anyone gets the horrible impression that I'm plugging my own book
 RedFive 22 Oct 2013

As soon as its out for kindle (other e readers are available) I will buy it Gordon.
Jim C 22 Oct 2013
> (In reply to hokkyokusei)
>
> Yes, the signs now are that the readership is spilling outside of the climbing world. So no probs. I'll shut up now, in case anyone gets the horrible impression that I'm plugging my own book

Too late Gordon I just bought it.

andymac 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

Terence Aubrey Boyce' s wiki page.

One of the finest men ever to appear on television.

Very successful car dealership in Chiswick too.
 ThunderCat 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
>
> You can claim a beer from me if I'm wrong.

I claim my beer.

Finished Feersum Enjinn on a train to London and just didn't get it. Hate it when then happened. Was waiting for the big "OH YEAH!" moment at the end and it' just didn't come.

Sorry dude. Are you bringing that beer round or should I collect?

Tell you what -recommend me another Iain Banks book and I'll give him one more try...

Offwidth 26 Oct 2013
In reply to ThunderCat: Fair enough. I take it you got that the eponymous device was left behind to 'save the planet' and the threads were weaving to that point. Most of (declined) humanity of course being oblivious to their impending doom and fighting away in the immense architecture left by the previous more advanced civilisation, now long-gone (who of course built the Enjinn). In the scale of things learning you're doomed but then can be saved was a pretty big 'Oh Yeah' to me.

I said I'd buy the pint, not deliver it. If it takes a while, so be it ... I don't welch on bets. I'm normally to be found in Nottingham but also in other venues around the UK near climbing and will be at Kendal for the festival.

Not sure of the point of recommending something else from an author you struggle with. Who else have you liked in Sci-fi (or anything for that matter) so I can maybe recommend something else?
 Trangia 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

"Tail End Charlies" by John Nichol and Tony Rennell

A well balanced and thoughtful history of the bomber war from 1944 to 1945. The bomber crews and their appalling casualty rate, the night fighters, search lights and flack, the German civilians and the fire storms. A study of the morality of area bombing and total war, Bomber Harris, Churchill's involvement and subsequent attempts at distancing himself from his own policy making, Dresden and subsequent myths surrounding that raid started by Goebbels, and much much more

Whether you agree or disagree with the justification for area bombing, the book leaves you in no doubt about the bravery of the RAF and American bomber crews.
 Stone Idle 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Trangia: Great book - also worth a read is Geoffrey Wellum - First Light - about the fighter pilots. Terrifying.
In reply to Stone Idol:

Agreed re. First Light.
 Bobling 26 Oct 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed Fiva, I meant to say at the time I read it (last Christmas) but forgot. It was a very different read from the usual climbing biographies, very accessible for a punter trad climber. Thanks!

Currently reading the Count of Monte Cristo which is gathering pace nicely.
Frogger 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Bobling:

Really enjoyed the Count of Monte Cristo. Just started on the Three Musketeers.. very good also !
 Paul Atkinson 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Little Brew)
>
> "Tail End Charlies" by John Nichol and Tony Rennell

Straight on my list for a forthcoming trip. Does it contain much in the way of maps, diagrams and photos such that I will want the book rather than Kindle version?

Ta P
 Trangia 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

No, only photographs, kindle should be fine.

Enjoy your read!
ice.solo 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

i really should go back to elton. i like his style, but his formula always seemed to get all lost and silly 2/3 in then ended either confusingly or flaccidly. lots of funny and intelligent shit, but never seemed to gel till the end. eventually i could settle down for 350 pages knowing id get tired by about page 200.

a decade on he (or i...) may have got it together a bit more.
 Fredt 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Frogger:
> (In reply to Bobling)
>
> Really enjoyed the Count of Monte Cristo. Just started on the Three Musketeers.. very good also !

I too just finished the Count of Monte Cristo, fantastic! - but am put off the Three Musketeers by those awful films which are not Dumas' style at all. I was planning to read Monte Cristo again immediately, as it was just sheer pleasure, but would prefer another Dumas as good as that one.
 Paul Atkinson 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Trangia: thanks Tim

Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...