UKC

Reel rock 8

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 turtlespit 24 Oct 2013
I saw Reel Rock 8 a few weeks back - really liked 'The sensei' and ''Spice Girl' in RR8, but 'The stonemasters' short felt too much like an extended trailer, and I don't really care about some argy-bargy on Mt Everest.

Seems like RR6 might have been their high point - 6 enjoyable and inspirational short films. This year I'd say there were only 2.5 (I'll give 0.5 for 'The stonemasters')

Kieran_John 24 Oct 2013
In reply to turtlespit: I think I enjoyed The Stonemasters the most! That said tt WAS an extended trailer, it was advertised as a sneak preview of the up coming film so I didn't expect much more. It certainly peaked my interest in seeing the film next year.

I wasn't that keen on the Mount Everast one. I'd read about it on here and it was interesting to see documentary footage about it, and about the lead up to it, but it dragged a little during the confrontation.

The Sensei was excellent, though hilarious to watch in The Works. The way the seating was set up meant that the bottom of the screen wasn't easily visible, so every time there were sub-titles there was a sea of bobbing and swaying heads as everyone ducked and weaved to read them. I think I got about 50%!

I thought Spice Girl was nicely filmed and interesting enough.

My favourite year up to now was last year, RR7. I felt the films presented then were accessible not just for people interested in climbing, but anyone. In fact I got my wife to watch them (never climbed, no interest) and she loved them.

The first showed the contrast between an up and coming climber and "the world's best", both in their lifestyle, their physical make-up, etc. This was interesting and hilarious.

The second was a brilliant and tense documentary about a trip to Peru and a guy over-coming all odds to recover and go ahead with it.

The third was a proper under-dog story about some scrawny (in comparison to the Americans) Brits going to America and showing them how it's done.

And the last, Honnold 2.0, was an absolutely amazing tense documentary that a lot of people find difficult to watch.

Every film, I thought, was filmed in a way that made it accessible to none climbers, they didn't dwell on grades, or rely too much on the 'lingo'. They were just entertaining documentaries.

I was actually due to go see RR8 with some none-climbing friends on the 3rd, but after being lucky and grabbing a free ticket to it this weekend I've decided against, and instead they're coming round to watch the bluray of last years.
 1poundSOCKS 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Kieran_John: When you say 'up and coming climber', do you mean Adam Ondra?
 DreadyCraig 24 Oct 2013
In reply to turtlespit:
I saw RR8 last night in Southampton. Was the first RR I've been to and really enjoyed it.
As mentioned earlier, Stone Masters WAS an extended trailer. Quite an entertaining one too.
The best one for me was Spice Girl, funny and gripping.
I even enjoyed the Everest one, was interesting to see especially as he solo'd Annapurna not long ago as an alternative to Everest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...