UKC

Taking a sickie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hillseeker 25 Oct 2013
I'm thinking of taking a sick day off work when I'm not actually sick!

Some background: I work as an order picker in a warehouse. This is a seasonal post until just after New Year in January. Orders are for a well known supermarket chain. It is a large concern with about 50 people working each shift. They appear to be very strict on discipline and absences.
My problem is that I want to go and see my girlfriend in Ireland for Halloween (its kind of an anniversary) but I would need to take the Thursday off when I am due to work.
How do you think employers would view this? (My days off that week are Friday, Saturday and Sunday). Do employers "know" when someone is trying to fool them? Trouble is I can't really afford to get sacked.
 Edradour 25 Oct 2013
In reply to toasted:

Can you not swap shifts with someone? Perhaps do a double shift the following week, or give up a day off the week before or after? That way you aren't risking anything, not doing something that you're obviously uncomfortable with and you won't lose out on the money.
OP Hillseeker 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Edradour:
Hmm, yeah, hadn't thought of that. Not sure how flexible they are. havn't really got any mates there either.
 3leggeddog 25 Oct 2013
In reply to toasted:

You genius, give out almost enough clues online to incriminate yourself. Go to work on Oct 31st (you deserve to suffer on account of your f*ckwittery) and keep your big trap shut next time.
 bradholmes 25 Oct 2013
In reply to toasted: You're better off asking for the day off, find a compromise if necessary. Your boss will notice that you're pulling a sickie the day before you're due to be off, trust me. As someone else said, there will be options, swap shifts with somebody else, offer to work an extra shift the week after or so on. If you can't afford to get sacked, don't take the p*ss. I'll do my best for my staff if they need a day off for a legitimate reason, I'll even cover the shift myself if needs be, try to play games or think you're being a crafty devil and I'll give the work to a responsible team player instead.
OP Hillseeker 25 Oct 2013
In reply to bradholmes:
Yep, I'd kind of thought that the bosses might get an idea. I'll just go the next day now I think.
Cheers for the reply.
 Choss 25 Oct 2013
In reply to toasted:

Best go sick on wednesday too. Thursday alone Looks too Obvious 7;^)
 KTC 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Choss:
Yeah, even better to take the whole week off, that way they'll know you're properly sick, and not just a workshy tossbag.
 Choss 25 Oct 2013
In reply to KTC:

Personally, i would just go sick for as Long as you can self Certificate. If you want more Time, go to gp and cough. Theyre Pretty helpful with sick notes. Easier to sign you off than argue with you 7;^)
 Milesy 25 Oct 2013
In reply to toasted:
> How do you think employers would view this? (My days off that week are Friday, Saturday and Sunday). Do employers "know" when someone is trying to fool them? Trouble is I can't really afford to get sacked.

Many employers use the bradford scoring system. Where days off sick either before or after weekends and bank holidays etc score higher than say a random wednesday. Someone phoning in sick 2 mondays in a row will probably score higher than someone who has taken a full fortnight off.

So employers don't "know" but they can over time build up an idea that someone is taking the mickey.
 FreshSlate 25 Oct 2013
In reply to toasted: No holidays, swapping shifts etc possible? Surely you have a mate or two.
 Cheese Monkey 25 Oct 2013
In reply to toasted: Are a you a bit wet? Just phone in sick, on the plane if necessary. I called in sick once in the back of my van at the Bulldog Bash, praying noone would start up a bike near me!
 PebblePusher 25 Oct 2013
In reply to toasted:

>Trouble is I can't really afford to get sacked.

If you're worried about it it's not worth it, you won't be able to enjoy the weekend anyway 'cos you'll be wondering if you're gonna get rumbled the whole time! If it's a large operation with many staff someone wanting 1 day off won't be an unusual occurrence. Just ask someone.
 wilkie14c 25 Oct 2013
In reply to toasted: Tell them you need the time off for a personal matter and you are prepared to take it unpaid if nessesary. Point out that you don't just want to book sick. If pressed further just say it is in connection with your confused sexuality. They will respond to your honesty and more than likely be wary of declining your given reason. To top it all off you can live guilt free as you aren't lying, just rather slightly bending the truth.
andic 25 Oct 2013
In reply to toasted:

I called in sick to a warehouse job for a well known supermarket, I actually was ill. One of the managers was in the office when I called in and gave me a bollocking down the phone: 'how long you been working here? (1 mths) It dosent look very good does it sunshine?.......' A lot of the agency/casual guys like me were hoping for a fulltime position, but I was going back to Uni in October and couldn't give a toss. I took my sick day and went back in when I felt better.

If you are planning to move on it wont matter but it could stop them considering you for something permanent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...