UKC

Tommy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 25 Oct 2013
Just watched Tommy.

Is it part filmed in the slate quarries? (Hells Angels sequence) and does anyone recognise the final Roger Daltrey scramble?

Looks a bit like Ogwen....
 Clarence 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Babika:

I was busy thinking about Tina Turner, Ann-Margaret and me in a bean soaked threesome but I am fairly sure the last bit was in the Lake District. Oh, Olly was watching us while making cocktails as well...
OP Babika 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Clarence:
Yeah you're probably right - that lake looked, well, Lake-ish come to think of it

Not sure about AM.

Roger Daltrey's bare chest does it for me. He can ring that down the climbing wall any day
 Clarence 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Babika:

Just checked, it is Borrowdale.
 sheep 26 Oct 2013
 Al Evans 26 Oct 2013
In reply to sheep: If you watch the Quarry scene carefully, you can see the shadow of the camera crane cross in front of the lights. It was filmed in Borrowdale because that is where Ken Russel lived.
 sheep 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to sheep) If you watch the Quarry scene carefully, you can see the shadow of the camera crane cross in front of the lights. It was filmed in Borrowdale because that is where Ken Russel lived.

...and Ray Mchaffie was the location finder and Head Sherpa
 Al Evans 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Probably not as it's all about making the record, never mentions the film.
 Al Evans 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans: I have to say I have just watched this and it bears no relation to my memory of the original film, is this a later directors cut or something? It certainly did not have the mistake with the camera crane I mentioned in the quarry, and quite frankly was just not as good as I remembered it, of course that could just be me getting old
 sheep 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

The memory fades, Al, but i think you're right. It seemed to me that some scenes were missing. Particularly, the 'I'm Free!' sequence against the setting sun, with Daltry doing star-jumps. It completely ignores the work done in carrying a trampoline to the top of Walla Crag. Pah!
 Blue Straggler 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Babika:

I think Ann-Margret is the only person ever to have received a Best Actress Oscar nomination for a role that is ENTIRELY sung. People have of course won Oscars from roles in musicals but they always had lines of spoken dialogue too. Ann-Margret ONLY sings in Tommy. And she is astonishing in it.
Louise Fletcher won that year's Oscar for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
 Chris the Tall 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Babika:
I believe Ken Russell also wanted to set fire to Striding Edge for dramatic effect, but was either persuaded against it, or refused permission.
 Hat Dude 29 Oct 2013
In reply to sheep:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> ...and Ray Mchaffie was the location finder and Head Sherpa

I read once that in the scene in Ken Russell's "Mahler", also shot in the Bowderstone quarry; the dragon was Ray McHaffie wielding a flamethrower.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...