UKC

Late season Bobby G

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 farmus21 26 Oct 2013
Hello all...

I attempted the Bob Graham Round in June of this year but was thwarted by a training injury that I managed to give myself by running too much, of all things.
Anyway, I've rested, seen the phsyio, switched to more cycling and back to a bit of climbing and walking etc and managed to get a few days off to give it another go, on Monday. The weather forecast is rapidly turning apocalyptic for the weekend and Monday's is not looking great either but at least there are fewer severe weather warnings then.
I'm going for a traditional clockwise round starting at 3am on Monday, aiming for a 20hr round... Anyone got any last minute nuggets of advice or even better , fancy a run on monday!?

Ta!
 ro8x 26 Oct 2013
In reply to farmus21:

Good luck with it! Don't start out too quick would be my advice!
 Al Evans 26 Oct 2013
In reply to farmus21: We had hail so deep we were leaving footprints in it and that was in July, it's the luck of the draw on the BGR weatherwise.
 Cobbler 26 Oct 2013
In reply to farmus21:

Give it a miss and live to fight another day! You've got plenty years ahead of you lad!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24674537
OP farmus21 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Cobbler:

Haha...oh heck.

The arrow on his map sweeps south of Cumbria...It'll be fine!

Cobbler 26 Oct 2013
In reply to farmus21:

I admire your pluck! Best of luck!
Removed User 26 Oct 2013
In reply to farmus21:

I'd suggest biding your time for a day or two, or at least keeping your options open until tomorrow evening, the forecast looks a bit minging.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/ld.php?fdate=131028

Good luck anyway.
In reply to farmus21:

Personally I'd wait until the dice were a bit more in my favour. Crossing the Caldew might be, ahem, interesting.

Have you asked on the FRA forums? There's usually a few available for a run out.

ALC
 mbh 26 Oct 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to farmus21)
>
> Personally I'd wait until the dice were a bit more in my favour. Crossing the Caldew might be, ahem, interesting.
>
> Have you asked on the FRA forums? There's usually a few available for a run out.
>
> ALC

Yes, I was up to my thighs in it in August when I recced Leg 1.

To the OP - have only done legs 1 and 2. I took the wrong line going right off Skiddaw and got myself into a boggy pickle lower down, and that was in the light. Do you know exactly where to go, since you will be doing it in the dark? If not, see the comments left for me on the FRA BG forum re how to get this right. Look for three fence posts close together, or something.

Best of luck, whenever you decide to set out!

alan barnes 27 Oct 2013
In reply to farmus21: so will you be at the moot hall in 4 hours......?
OP farmus21 31 Oct 2013
Needless to say it did not go well.

Bailed just before Bowfell. High winds, and wet ground made progress slow plus persistent stomach cramps stopped me eating enough, inevitably I got cold and couldn't shake it. Made good time on leg 2 thanks to the efforts of one Joe Mann and the support of Jon and my dad on the road but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

Next year...next year...

Anyway, Helvellyn Ultra in December!

Psyched!
 mbh 31 Oct 2013
In reply to farmus21:

Good effort...got further than I did! Next year for me too...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...