UKC

Aaggghhhhh...Computer woes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 27 Oct 2013
I was trying to do a system restore and we had a power cut. When I switched back on I got a blue screen with a message saying:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Unmountable_Boot_Volume

If this is the first time....................

(There then follows some steps to take such as restarting in safe mode...)

Thing is I don't know how to switch off out of this message.

Can anyone help please
needvert 27 Oct 2013
In reply to FesteringSore:

My first action:
Boot off a livecd / liveusb and backup anything you want to keep
OP FesteringSore 27 Oct 2013
In reply to needvert:
> (In reply to FesteringSore)
>
> My first action:
> Boot off a livecd / liveusb and backup anything you want to keep

Is that the windows xp disc that came with the pc?

rogerwebb 27 Oct 2013
Try tapping F12 as you power up, I'm no computer expert but it worked for me on Thursday. You then get options for start up repair etc (in Windows 7)
 Dominion 27 Oct 2013

> Is that the windows xp disc that came with the pc?

Nope, it's a linux based "rescue" disk that allows you to get all of your valuable data off your hard drive (HDD) onto an external HDD / usbdisk before you attempt to fix the problem.

To start Windows in Safe mode, you need to hit the F8 key just after it does all the BIOS screen things, but before it starts loading Windows. Best just to keep tapping the F8 key...
 rogerwebb 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Dominion:

My mistake you're right it was F8!
OP FesteringSore 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to FesteringSore)
>
> [...]
>
> Nope, it's a linux based "rescue" disk that allows you to get all of your valuable data off your hard drive (HDD) onto an external HDD / usbdisk before you attempt to fix the problem.

Don't seem to have one of those
>
> To start Windows in Safe mode, you need to hit the F8 key just after it does all the BIOS screen things, but before it starts loading Windows. Best just to keep tapping the F8 key...
Tried that. still keep getting the same message up

rogerwebb 27 Oct 2013
Try F12, I'm sure it did something in my similar problem on Thursday. Basically I hit everything until I was able to run start up repair
 itsThere 27 Oct 2013
In reply to FesteringSore: So to make a linux live usb to boot from and recover data, you need the following. A second pc and two pendrives.

Download the linux live installer on another pc http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Back up everything from the first pen drive, you will be installing linux onto this.

Follow the tutorial here http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/guide This will give a better explanation than me. Install it onto the first pen drive. Install ubuntu 13.04 from the list of distros.

Boot the broken pc, with the linux usb in a usb slot. Follow the on-screen instructions to boot from the usb, dont install linux. It may take a while to boot, but it will get there.

Use the second pen drive to copy your data onto, if it can read the hdd.

If its not booting from usb then you will need to force it to do this from the bios. This isnt as hard as it sounds and i will explain if need be.

Get all your data and then re-install windows, maybe another way to fix it but i dont know.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...