UKC

Bosigran Ridge Video!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BALD EAGLE 28 Oct 2013
Morning All

During early October, I was lucky enough to stay in the superb CC Count House Hut at Bosigran in Cornwall where my partners in crime and I managed a quick "repeat offence" clamber of the easy but classic "Bosigran Ridge". Often called Commando Ridge, it is a “mini-Alpine route by the sea” with great rock, exhilarating situations, a stunning location and surely the very best VD in the West Country. I've seen one or two mini-epics over the years take place but has anyone else got any tales relating to the tide or swell, route finding, ropework they have seen or been involved in? Or fond memories or stories of this great climb or hut they would care to share to liven up this stormy day? Anyway the entertainment was duly recorded so for anyone interested in viewing a short HD film of this great climb including seals, kestrels and a homage to the superlative Count House then please use the following link:
youtube.com/watch?v=ErLC82eHE5c&
If you wish to sample the full High Def experience and your computer has enough va va voom, you should be able to change the "Quality" icon to at least 720p HD in the bottom right hand corner on the You Tube screen. Anyway all constructive feedback or comments welcome and hopefully it will inspire a few folks to visit this superb area, climb the route and stay in the hut!

Cheers

Dave

Choss 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Wow!

lovely atmospheric video, again. Shows route off well, scenic, bit of wildlife, and really Nice relaxing well fitting SoundTrack.

Have a gold star. Looking forward to more.
 Choss 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Ps Constructive Criticism. Lose that Fellas deerstalker. 7;^)
 DreadyCraig 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
Very nice!
 Gael Force 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Enjoyed watching your film, as a sailor and climber Cornwall trips are always great. It's a long time since I did Commando Ridge, has it's name changed now?
Anyway thanks for posting it, I thought it was well made and you obviously put some time into making it.I enjoyed watching it.
I've never had an epic on it, but remember another route there which I did early on when I started climbing where you had to crawl along a ledge over a drop into a Zawn, World's end or something like that?
Cheers,

GF
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Looks like another great day out and yet another route to add to my ever-growing to-do list. Thanks for sharing. I'm already looking forward to watching your next adventure.

Steve
 sbc_10 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Hi Dave,

Once again a very watchable film that portrays the enjoyment many of us find in and amongst the rocks and landscape. I cannot comment of the photographic qualities or scene selections etc,I will leave that to UKC's finest, but what I would like to say is that I really appreciate the fact that your portfolio includes 'accessible' climbs and routes.
E10, ED+ and Mr Steck running up 8000m are sensational, but I have no attachment to it apart from the "wow, that's impressive" feeling of envy as I demolish another four hob-knobs in front of the lap-top.
Your work promotes the feeling of.."that looks great, I could really enjoy that", and that makes all the difference to me. Keep it up.
 Stanners 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
helmet cam footage of the ridge at 3 minute mark is brilliant! Nice one Dave, bloody good quality picture as well. Keep em coming, looks like you guys had a good day out!
 deepstar 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Nice One Dave! one of my memories of Commando Ridge is not being able to hear a word from my climbing partner Warner but the conversation going on across the zawn on Black Slab was crystal clear (and quite interesting).
 JohnnyW 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I loved my day out on this route a few years ago....can't wait to watch the vid when I get home.
 SimonMarcYoung 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: I've been on this route many times now as it was an instant favorite, 1st interesting time was when we where on the route and another group further ahead had a major fall out mid route as it seems the belayer had decided to take the leader off belay mid climb so left the leader soloing, which resorted in a big bust up (rightly so i may add) so me and my partner had to rush over and stop a fight on route which i feel may have resulted in a man off the cliff if left !, my second stand out moment was when soloing the climb and getting attacked by dive bombing seagulls, which made the climb interesting and getting to the top ment i could final change my trousers lol
 dale1968 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Another great video...
 Gav Parker 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
Excellent effort very atmospheric..
 Tom Last 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Gael Force:
>
> I've never had an epic on it, but remember another route there which I did early on when I started climbing where you had to crawl along a ledge over a drop into a Zawn, World's end or something like that?
> Cheers,
>
>

That's Zawn Face Route at Lands End. Right next to World's End.
 Toerag 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Nice work
 jshields 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Hi Dave, Another Bald Eagle classic. I really enjoyed this one, brought back happy memories of climbing the ridge.
Thanks,
Jon
 Joak 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Another belter, you've unwittingly captured the two things that I hold dear that have shaped my entire life, the sea (15 years deep sea, 11 years coastal) and rock of the classic easy but oooh so satisfying type. In a few years time when I get to swap work for a life of leisure I'll finally have time to indulge myself with frequent forays to hitherto neglected places, this one being high on the list.
 BusyLizzie 28 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Another lovely one, Dave - and again you've captured a climb that is already on my wish-list - all the more so after my first experiences of sea-cliff climbing this summer. The music works well, too, and the seals.
 icnoble 29 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Agreed, great film. Which head cam do you use?
OP BALD EAGLE 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Choss and All:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE)
>
> Ps Constructive Criticism. Lose that Fellas deerstalker. 7;^)

Wowser cheers folks and many thanks for all the positive feedback and just a couple of quick replies as busy at work!
Yeah Choss the...erm...Deerstalker hat caused a great deal of mirth upon its appearence when gearing up. I guess deerstalking has to be marginally better than just stalking...
OP BALD EAGLE 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Gael Force:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE) Enjoyed watching your film, as a sailor and climber Cornwall trips are always great. It's a long time since I did Commando Ridge, has it's name changed now?

Cheers GF even though on the memorial plaque the route is called "Commando Ridge" I think it has been more usually called "Bosigran Ridge" for many years. Hence Bosigran Ridge aka Commando Ridge!
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=890
Unless anyone else knows the history better?
 Bobling 29 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Enjoyed that Dave! Nice to see Jon Bon out on rock. I remember doing this one weekend when we got to Zennor about 10 pm on the Saturday and were up at 3 to be on the ridge at low tide for 5.00 a.m. Took us bleeding ages, including one diversion down the wrong side of the perched block from yours truly.

To add interest to the whole route I found out I was going to be a dad the day before, I'll never forget being at the bottom at dawn revelling in the blue seas and thinking "this is crazy but I'm going to be a parent and that's even crazier!".

Stanners if you check back tell us how did your PRMC go?
 Trangia 29 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Nice one! What a beautiful colour the sea was, and so calm - rare in my experience.
OP BALD EAGLE 30 Oct 2013
In reply to deepstar:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE) one of my memories of Commando Ridge is not being able to hear a word from my climbing partner Warner but the conversation going on across the zawn on Black Slab was crystal clear (and quite interesting).

ooo now this sounds interesting! Care to expand?!

OP BALD EAGLE 30 Oct 2013
In reply to icnoble:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE) Agreed, great film. Which head cam do you use?

Thanks icnoble!
I have a GoPro2 headcam but I would be the first to admit that headcam film by itself can often be pretty unwatchable except to the user! Consequently most of the footage in this film was shot on a HD Panasonic V700 camcorder (the zoom is incredible) on a good tripod by my better half (bribed with the promise of chocolate and cava!) sat in the sun about 400 metres away, and a HD Panasonic V720 camcorder which I used whilst on the climb. So 3 cameras in all, with a small amount of gopro to hopefully add an interesting mix of angles and views, and all edited on Sony Vegas 11 HD Platinum.
Hope this helps!
 deepstar 30 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
> (In reply to deepstar)
> [...]
>
> ooo now this sounds interesting! Care to expand?!

I wondered when it would get your attention! It was something along the lines of "You might be a E3 leader but you were`nt so good on the marital stakes last night"!
 icnoble 31 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: thanks for the information.
 floss_81 31 Oct 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

This should be put into the ukc video section.

Bosi is a great spot.

Its good to see climbing that real people are doing at local crags, not just climbing superstars in far stretched places most people will never visit. Climbing of grades the majority climb, not just E8's and such like.

Take note UKC Editor!
OP BALD EAGLE 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Bobling:
>
> Enjoyed that Dave! Nice to see Jon Bon out on rock. I remember doing this one weekend when we got to Zennor about 10 pm on the Saturday and were up at 3 to be on the ridge at low tide for 5.00 a.m.

Cheers Bobling! Blimey up at 3 for a 5am start? Fair play to you, alpine starts come to Cornwall...
OP BALD EAGLE 31 Oct 2013
In reply to floss_81:
>
> This should be put into the ukc video section.
>
> Bosi is a great spot.
>
> Its good to see climbing that real people are doing at local crags, not just climbing superstars in far stretched places most people will never visit. Climbing of grades the majority climb, not just E8's and such like.
>
> Take note UKC Editor!

Cheers floss I really appreciate your appreciation!

Stanners 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Bobling:
It went really well thanks! Managed a grade A pass, and am now over halfway through training. I passed my phase 1 course, and am now fully into Phase 2. Should hopefully pass out in May next year!
 deepstar 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Stanners:
> (In reply to Bobling)
> Should hopefully pass out in May next year!

Not if he keeps coming round my place and pinching all the chocolate digestives!
 Stanners 31 Oct 2013
In reply to deepstar:
HAHA! I have to admit I did take well over 10 of em. Will be wrapping you up a packet for christmas Mr. Deepstar!
OP BALD EAGLE 01 Nov 2013
In reply to deepstar:
> [...]
>
> I wondered when it would get your attention! It was something along the lines of "You might be a E3 leader but you were`nt so good on the marital stakes last night"!

<laughs> blimey the gossip you hear at the crag!

OP BALD EAGLE 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Stanners:
> (In reply to Bobling)
> It went really well thanks! Managed a grade A pass, and am now over halfway through training. I passed my phase 1 course, and am now fully into Phase 2. Should hopefully pass out in May next year!

Good work mate!
 WildWeasel 03 Nov 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Wow another great film! Love the seals and great shots of pitchs 1 and 5 so thanks for sharing!
 kiwi boy 03 Nov 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Great vid again Mr Eagle. Sound track excellent. I think you have a touch of the Dr Dolittle about you as the wildlife always appears on que. Make sure you keep the Pom in peanuts. Nice one
Andy
 Bobling 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Stanners:

Good job! Never met you at the crag though I think we did share it once or twice, regardless good effort and good luck for the rest of it.
OP BALD EAGLE 04 Nov 2013
In reply to kiwi boy:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE) Great vid again Mr Eagle. Sound track excellent. I think you have a touch of the Dr Dolittle about you as the wildlife always appears on que. Make sure you keep the Pom in peanuts. Nice one
> Andy

Cheers Mr Kiwi muchly appreciated! <laughs> Not sure about Dr Dolittle (probably more Dr Jeckyl) I guess I've just been lucky recently with various wildlife appearing at the right time! Peanuts?! Pom is more of a Pop Tarts and Tizer sort of guy...

Stanners 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Bobling:
cheers mate! If you're ever stuck for a partner give me a shout!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...