UKC

What links Iran, N Korea, Zimbabwe & the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 29 Oct 2013
What links Iran, N Korea, Zimbabwe & the UK (as well as 15 other non-EU states)?
 Philip 29 Oct 2013
A desire to have nuclear power but not the capacity to manufacture the facilities internally.
 drolex 29 Oct 2013
In reply to TMM: Is it the 16 yo soldier recruitment thing? (Not debating it yet in case it is not)
OP TMM 29 Oct 2013
In reply to drolex:

Yep.

We can add to the list Afghanistan, Colombia, India, Iraq, Israel, Libya, Mali, Pakistan, Thailand, Sudan, Syria & Yemen.

I am sure that signing up at 15 years and 7 months is the making of some teenagers but it doesn't seem right to me.

Apparently it also cost twice as much to train a 'minor' as it does an adult.
 drolex 29 Oct 2013
In reply to TMM: Just watched the video on the Guardian.

For me it is beyond wrong. They can't drive, vote or buy bleach, but are allowed to make such an important decision so early in their life. Ok they won't fight before they are 18 apparently but as they sign for 4 years they will live the consequences of a decision they made when most of them were not considered mature enough to vote.
 Sharp 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TMM:
> What links Iran, N Korea, Zimbabwe & the UK (as well as 15 other non-EU states)?

Love?
 john arran 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TMM:
> What links Iran, N Korea, Zimbabwe & the UK (as well as 15 other non-EU states)?

The people cannot choose their head of state?
 nick hawkins 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TMM:
Where did you get the "fact" it costs twice as much to train a minor ?
ice.solo 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TMM:
> What links Iran, N Korea, Zimbabwe & the UK ?

I was goin to say crap food but iran doesnt fit.

TomBaker 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TMM:
They are all man made constructs.
Removed User 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TMM:

Being spied on by the US?
OP TMM 30 Oct 2013
In reply to nick hawkins:

Quote:

'Child Soldiers International and ForcesWatch claim it costs the Ministry of Defence (MoD) twice as much to train a 16-year-old as it does an adult.

That is due to longer training and a higher drop-out rate, they say.

The MoD said it did not recognise figures in the report and it "ignores the benefits" for young people.

Using figures presented to Parliament in 2011, the report said it cost an "estimated" £88,985 to recruit, train and pay new soldiers aged 16 and 17, compared with £42,818 for each adult recruit.'

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22259982

ByEek 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TMM:

> I am sure that signing up at 15 years and 7 months is the making of some teenagers but it doesn't seem right to me.

Agreed on moral grounds, but when this is staring many young folks in the face

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24726792
(Young face lifetime of unemployment, warns charity)

being able to sign up suddenly becomes quite an attractive option.

When you say it costs £88k to train a young recruit, how to does that compare to keeping them on the dole / housing benefit for a lifetime?
 PeterM 30 Oct 2013

PeterM 30 Oct 2013

Some would have us believe that we're sending children and immature young adults into battle. Cool, huh?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24173194

What could possibly go wrong even if they survive any conflict?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...