UKC

Lesser known Romantic-era composers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 30 Oct 2013
Looking to expand my classical music library but seem to have exhausted the work of the composers I already know.

I like anything between Beethoven and Mahler, although prefer the early to mid Romantic style.

I like Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Schubert, Schumann, Sibelius, Dvorak etc, and am most partial to symphonies.

Any lesser known composers I might enjoy?
 malk 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill: you'll enjoy Bruckner..
Removed User 30 Oct 2013
In reply to malk: Brahms, Ravel, Debussy, Satie .. ..
 Mark Bull 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

A few suggestions for you:

Cesar Franck - Symphony in D minor
Saint-Saens - Symphony No. 3 (Organ Symphony)
Carl Nielsen - Symphony No. 4 (maybe a bit modern?)
Smetena - Ma Vlast
Bizet - L'Arlesienne suites
Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherezade
Janacek - Sinfonietta, Taras Bulba
Richard Strauss - Alpine Symphony
de Falla - El Amor Brujo, Three-Cornered Hat suites
Respighi - Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome
Douglas Griffin 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:

> Smetena - Ma Vlast
> Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherezade

Can strongly second these two recommendations. (Smetana, though. Amused a Russian friend of mine - Smetana is a sour cream that is typically eaten with mushrooms.)

If you like the atmosphere of Scheherezade then Borodin is worth looking out too - the wonderful 'Polovtsian Dances', and 'In the Steppes of Central Asia'.
Removed User 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:
Richard Strauss - yes! Four last songs etc.
 Mark Bull 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

Oops. I knew my chances of typing that lot without any spelling mistakes was a bit low!
 Gazlynn 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Some of my favs and not lesser known

Shostakovitch 5th (nearly all his symphonies are awesome)

Bruckner 4th

Brahms 3rd

Brahms German Requiem

Neilson Violin Concerto

Happy listening

Cheers

Gaz

Tom Valentine 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User:
Beim Schlafengehen usually sets me off planning my funeral....
 malk 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Mark Bull: most of the composers mentioned are well known and included in the etc of the op?
OP Only a hill 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
Thanks for the suggestions so far - I already know some of them, and others are a little late for my tastes. Any ideas for pre-1850 stuff, preferably from more obscure composers (but still good music?)
 felt 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Dimochka is sooo not Romantic era it's unbeliederable.

Look here, plenty to be going on with on (my tip for the early period you ask after? Carl Maria von Weber):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Romantic-era_composers
In reply to felt:
Thanks. Great list.

Have just looked up Weber's 1st Symphony on Youtube and it's right up my street
 Mark Bull 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Do you know Crusell's clarinet concertos?
 felt 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Good, although it sounds quite classical era to me. This is more "Romantic".
youtube.com/watch?v=YLsjbsS66DI&
 felt 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Just to make the obvious point, the reason why many classical composers are not very well known is because they are not very good! Bits of both those Weber pieces are cases in point.
 felt 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

One last point: with your Victorian-era mountain romanticism thing, the composer you should really be seeking out and devouring, as well as making pilgrimages to his Lucerne home and other Alpine favourite spots, is of course Wagner:

http://tinyurl.com/nfgkbrk

"even the sublime itself, are beneath it".
 malk 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill: Spohr's chamber music is good and 10 symphonies to choose from: youtube.com/watch?v=loEJAHV1LK0&

Bruckner: youtube.com/watch?v=Ee4xzb5uvpI&
 felt 30 Oct 2013
In reply to malk:

It's good, but Bruckner, like Richard Strauss and early Schoenberg, is really only Wagner-lite. Not a decisive step forward, and in many ways a step backwards.
Removed User 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> (In reply to climber666)
> Beim Schlafengehen usually sets me off planning my funeral....

I was gonna go for Bruch's Violin Concerto, I like the '59 Menuhin version
In reply to felt:
Thanks for your suggestions! To be honest I find Wagner a little heavy for my liking ... I prefer the Beethoven school of romanticism really (transitional Classical/Romantic perhaps, but my writing focuses on the first half of the century at the moment so Beethoven's influence is huge in all areas of the arts).
I love that piece.
 malk 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill: i'm really liking spohr's second- only ever heard his chamber music before..
 felt 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

That's a common misapprehension of Wagner, Mark Twain's "Wagner has great moments but dull quarter hours". Try some of his overtures. Affecting, like nothing before or since. As Stephen Fry said, that's why we should be so scared of him.

youtube.com/watch?v=hD38QAEZZqg&
youtube.com/watch?v=AQOfIENN2tk&

Or, as another said, "Once more let it be said that Wagner is really only worthy of admiration and love by virtue of his inventiveness in small things, in his elaboration of details,—here one is quite justified in proclaiming him a master of the first rank, as our greatest musical miniaturist who compresses an infinity of meaning and sweetness into the smallest space. His wealth of colour, of chiaroscuro, of the mystery of a dying light, so pampers our senses that afterwards almost every other musician strikes us as being too robust. If people would believe me, they would not form the highest idea of Wagner from that which pleases them in him to-day. All that was only devised for convincing the masses, and people like ourselves recoil from it just as one would recoil from too garish a fresco. What concern have we with the irritating brutality of the overture to the “Tannhauser”? Or with the Walkyrie Circus? ... But apart from the Wagner who paints frescoes and practises magnetism, there is yet another Wagner who hoards small treasures: our greatest melancholic in music, full of side glances, loving speeches, and words of comfort, in which no one ever forestalled him,—the tone-master of melancholy and drowsy happiness.… A lexicon of Wagner's most intimate phrases—a host of short fragments of from five to fifteen bars each, of music which nobody knows.…"
 malk 30 Oct 2013
In reply to felt: Bruckner is Wagner-lite? i reckon he gets even heavier in parts
 felt 30 Oct 2013
In reply to malk:

Endless regurgitaion of the Ride of the Valkyries, yes; delayed climaxes are OK once or twice, but as a structural determinant in every piece? C'mon.
 Gazlynn 30 Oct 2013
In reply to felt:
> (In reply to Only a hill)
>
> One last point: with your Victorian-era mountain romanticism thing, the composer you should really be seeking out and devouring, as well as making pilgrimages to his Lucerne home and other Alpine favourite spots, is of course Wagner:

+1

cheers

Gaz
 Doug Hughes 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Someone already mentioned Borodin. If it's symphonies you like, his 2nd is wonderful, also the 2nd String Quartet.

And just to make sure you've heard some of the best works from the composers you mention:

Schubert: 9th Symphony (Great C major) - heart-warming and life-enhancing
Dvorak: 7th Symphony - I once had to pull the car over as this work rendered me incapable of driving safely
Sibelius: 7th Symphony - trombone entry about 5 minutes in is my all time favourite moment in music

And don't forget Schubert, Schumann, Mendelssohn and Dvorak all wrote even more great chamber music than great symphonies.
cb294 30 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Removed UserTom V)
> [...]
>
> I was gonna go for Bruch's Violin Concerto, I like the '59 Menuhin version

Bruch´s 8 pieces for clarinet and Kol Nidrei are even more depressing and beautiful at the same time

To the OP, Max Bruch is a good call in general, equally unknown and romantic.

This being UKC you should definitely also listen to Strauss´Alpine Symphony (best done live with the full instrumentation, in which case it is almost rock concert intensity)

CB
 Mark Bull 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Have you tried some of Beethoven's slightly lesser known orchestral pieces (Romances for Violin, Triple Concerto, assorted overtures)?
In reply to Only a hill:
Currently enjoying Spohr's 2nd as recommended further up the thread.

Some great suggestions here guys - thanks!
Removed User 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to Only a hill)
> Some great suggestions here guys - thanks!
And Rachmaninov of course if not yet mentioned. Great Symphonies.

Rob Davies 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill: The symphony by Hans Rott is remarkably close to early Mahler.

George Bernard Shaw rated Goetz very highly (he thought Schubert was "brainless" compared to Goetz) but not many people would agree.

Other big names in early 19th C music were most active in other types of music, such as Weber for opera, Loewe for ballads and Alkan for piano music.

If you can stretch to inclusion of a piano with the orchestra, there is whole series of romantic piano concertos on Hyperion, including some wonderfully obscure composers.
 Rob Davies 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill: I forgot to mention Berwald - 4 symphonies, I think, plus other orchestral music.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...