UKC

Belay loop cover/sheath

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
paulmo101 02 Nov 2013
Hi Folks,

I`m looking for some help in finding a piece of kit - I recently saw a person using a cover on his belay loop to protect it from abrasion type of wear from the karabiner. It looked like a condura type material with velcro on the rear and covered about 1/2 the belay loop and was just wrapped around the front half of the belay loop and then velcroed to itself.

I have googled belay loop cover/sheath/protector but I have found nothing relative. I have also checked some gear suppliers on line but have not found the item.
Just writing to ask if anyone knows where to get the above item and proper name etc ?

Cheers

Paul
In reply to paulmo101: sounds like an invention for a problem that doesn't really exist.
In reply to paulmo101: Surely this slightly unusual item is very very easy to make at home?
woody0606 02 Nov 2013
In reply to paulmo101: A chainstay protector would probably do the job. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lizard-skins-standard-chainstay-protector/
 Merlin 02 Nov 2013
In reply to paulmo101:

Ha!
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to paulmo101) sounds like an invention for a problem that doesn't really exist.

You really mean a problem that you have either not understood or witnessed.

My last very expensive harness, after a couple of years of regular use was still in near perfect condition, apart from the fraying belay loop.

I explained to the staff in Cotswold the situation and they told me it was a common problem and a new harness was the solution

Jamie B 02 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeYouCanClimb:

> My last very expensive harness, after a couple of years of regular use was still in near perfect condition, apart from the fraying belay loop.

Were you doing cows-tail abseils from it? That buggered my belay loop on a previous harness.
In reply to Jamie B:
> Were you doing cows-tail abseils from it? That buggered my belay loop on a previous harness.

I only use the belay loop for belaying or attaching to a belay.

I am not sure how a cows tail would cause the problem, unless perhaps it is attached directly using a larks foot to the belay loop.

Walking a lot in the harness does seem to cause the belay loop to rub on the leg loops and harness point quite a bit though.
 NorthernGrit 02 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Also sounds like an invention to potentially hide a problem that does exist.
 Muel 02 Nov 2013
In reply to paulmo101:

Definitely solving a none existing problem. If you're worried just tie a little backup loop from 7mm cord with triple fishermans and clip them both.
 brian_m 02 Nov 2013
In reply to paulmo101: Get a rope protector and cut a bit off for your belay loop.
 Jamie B 02 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeYouCanClimb:

> I am not sure how a cows tail would cause the problem, unless perhaps it is attached directly using a larks foot to the belay loop.

That's the one. Quite common, but something that I've stopped doing now.
 MJ 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Muel:

Definitely solving a none existing problem.

Todd Skinner died when his belay loop failed whilst abseiling: -

http://www.climbing.com/climber/loss-of-a-legend/

However, I think the best solution is to periodically check your equipment and replace accordingly.
 TobyA 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

> That's the one. Quite common, but something that I've stopped doing now.

How do you do it now Jamie?

I often ab with the belay plate extended, then a shunt or prussik on the belay loop, but to extend it I often double a 60 cm sling through the belay loop rather than larks foot it. I wonder if that is potentially better, no different or worse than larks footing?
 RoK 03 Nov 2013
In reply to paulmo101:
Arcteryx R320 by any chance?
In reply to NorthernGrit: I don't believe that a karabiner will cause the damage the OP is trying to prevent unless the krab itself is damaged in which case regular inspection of equipment is surely the best solution.
 JoshOvki 03 Nov 2013
In reply to MJ:

I knew someone was going to post that. Todds belay loop was very clearly worn as where his leg loops. Clearly a sign that that harness had seen the end of its days from over use.
ice.solo 03 Nov 2013
In reply to paulmo101:

where did you see this?

its not uncommon for cavers and canyoners to add protective sleeves to their harnesses.
 MJ 03 Nov 2013
In reply to JoshOvki:

I knew someone was going to post that. Todds belay loop was very clearly worn as where his leg loops. Clearly a sign that that harness had seen the end of its days from over use.

Yes and it was something he had noticed and had already ordered a replacement.
As I said, generally speaking and for normal use, periodic inspection is the best policy.
paulmo101 03 Nov 2013
Hi Folks thanks for all the replies - I went to the Ice climbing wall in Manchester and our Instructor was a Nepalese guy who was great and very knowledgeable. He climbed Kanchenjunga when he was about 16 and used to train climbers for High altitude etc. in Nepal. Anway he had one of these Belay loop covers. I asked about it and he said they were available from climbing outlets but he did not think Ellis Brigham had any in at the moment. I suppose that really I dont do enough climbing to wear out my belay loop within the 5 year ( or so) life of a harness!

It is more of a curiosity than a need for the item.

Thanks again

Paul
 Jamie B 05 Nov 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> How do you do it now Jamie?

Gravity-loaded krab onto the end of the sling.
 TobyA 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Jamie B: You mean a krab between your belay loop and the sling?
 alooker 05 Nov 2013
In reply to paulmo101: maybe we should wrap ropes up in this stuff too. Double sheathes.
 Jamie B 05 Nov 2013
In reply to TobyA:

That's right. It does put an extra link into the chain, but saves my belay loop getting bitched.
 bpmclimb 06 Nov 2013
In reply to all:

I reckon you get a bit more life out of a belay loop if you always unclip the crab/belay device from it when not in use/in a sac. Just a suspicion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...