UKC

Dual height standing/sitting desk solution?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si dH 03 Nov 2013
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me out. My wife is a writer and has been having back trouble from sitting so much, so wants to find a comfortable way to use her laptop when standing. I thought it would be fairly straightforward to find some sort of desk that you can stand at as well as sit, but so far, no luck. I found one or two websites that sell stands that go on a desk and move screens and keyboards up and down...but they look naff and are ridiculously expensive (500+ pounds just for a metal stand).
If I can't think of anything else, I was thinking I could put a shelf up on the wall at the right height next to the desk that could take the laptop, and have a monitor fixing just above it.

Has anyone got a good solution or any ideas for this?

Thanks,
Si

PS. if anyone knows how to change keyboard type in Vista it would also be appreciated...for reason I can't do a pound sign at the moment! Thanks
 MG 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH: YOu can definitely get desks that can go up and down for exactly what you describe; they are quite common in Sweden and one persona at work has one. They won't be cheap but are probably worthwhile. Sorry no more information.
 Fraser 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH:

One of my colleagues has such a desk, but I'm not sure if it goes right down to conventional level. It's a smaller, kidney-shaped footprint though and is supported on a single pedestal. I'll find out the make and spec. if you're interested, or is your wife looking for a full-sized desk?
Simos 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH:

For what it's worth,I wouldn't personally go down that route before I make 110% sure her current sitting setup is optimal, that she is taking regular breaks and even doing some exercise to help eg yoga. Otherwise standing for a bit won't help as she'll keep on injuring her back while sitting. I'd spend the money on a really good chair, monitor, keyboard and desk instead (assuming you don't have them).

Also, I am sure you know this but laptops are hell when it comes to causing all sorts of injuries. Just my 2p - I've spent countless hours in front of computers and had problems myself that were solved with proper posture, breaks and some exercise.
Simos 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH:

I just read your post again and noticed she is working on a laptop!!! Don't invest in anything unless you've bought and external keyboard, monitor and mouse. There is NO way you can have a good posture while bending over to read on a laptop screen - the screen must be at eye level, anything lower and you will get back pain if you sit there enough time.

You could get an external keyboard (go wireless) and just use the laptop as a monitor - use a stand or box or a pile of books to keep the screen at eye level..
Simos 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Simos:

Also the laptop keyboard will likely give her RSI in her forearms sooner or later...
 Nutkey 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Simos:
> (In reply to Si dH)
>
> For what it's worth,I wouldn't personally go down that route before I make 110% sure her current sitting setup is optimal, that she is taking regular breaks and even doing some exercise to help eg yoga. Otherwise standing for a bit won't help as she'll keep on injuring her back while sitting. I'd spend the money on a really good chair, monitor, keyboard and desk instead (assuming you don't have them).
>

I disagree (about standing, not about the monitor etc). I have atrocious posture while sitting (and I have a really good chair, monitor, keyboard, and desk).

I set myself up with a standing desk at work - I raised the desk to maximum height, stuck a cardboard box on top to take the keyboard, and put the monitors on swing arms (Ergotron LX had the maximum vertical range I could find) - that bit involved spending money. Ergotron also make sit-stand solutions.

That allows me to stand. If I want a sitting break, I can put my chair up to maximum height, remove the cardboard box, and drop the monitors down on the swing arms. However, I only needed to do this for the first week or so. After that I had got used to standing, and only need to sit down for a couple of minutes every hour, so now I just use a bar stool.

This (without making any other lifestyle changes), and while still have crap posture when sitting, has dramatically improved my back.

I'm still using the cardboard box. My office manager wants to buy me a "proper" standing desk; I don't because I don't see how it could be any better than my current setup! I like it so much I'm probably going to replicate the setup at home.

> Also, I am sure you know this but laptops are hell when it comes to causing all sorts of injuries. Just my 2p - I've spent countless hours in front of computers and had problems myself that were solved with proper posture, breaks and some exercise.

I don't know what writing is like, but I find it impossible to code effectively and take regular breaks. You need to get in the zone.

veteye 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH:
You're approaching this from the wrong side.
I work at two sites.At one site I have to stand up whilst consulting.I used to have a back problem and was told at one point to rest one foot on a footstool whilst standing.My back has not been a problem for a long time,so I now use the footstool on the work surface(as in kitchen style) to raise the keyboard so that it is at the correct height for me.(My machine is a desktop and the screen is a reasonable size and can be angled).
At the other site the keyboard and screen are at a height higher than normal(they sit on a worktop shelf that I had installed as it suits the rest of my job).Here I sit on a saddle stool(Bamberg or some such name)which cost a lot of money,but I use it every day and have done for more than ten years.The stool can be raised up and down to fit the height that suits for typing etc.(I use it at its lowest height for another part of the job).In addition the saddle is designed to help your back posture anyway.

So get a screen and keyboard setup that is just higher than normal.Don't adjust this height.Instead change your height on your (new) adjustable seat.
Good Luck
Rob
OP Si dH 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH:
All, she has a good seat (bought recently) and a separate monitor and keyboard available to plug her laptop in when at the desk. She does also do yoga which helps. However due to having a desk job 4 days a week and writing full time 2 of the other 3, her physio thinks it is sheer time sitting that is the problem.
Any other helpful suggestions along the lines of sit/stand solution most welcome.
Thanks!
 veteye 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH:
> (In reply to Si dH)
> All, she has a good seat (bought recently)
But is the seat a saddle seat?
I seem to remember paying £800 for mine(In fact I bought a second one as well, which adjusts with your feet by pressing on a ring almost at floor level).The price is high,but so is the price of a damaged back,plus cost per use is pretty low.

lost1977 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH:

The 2 things which have helped my back most for when working in the studio have been firstly a decent arm for my monitor and secondly sitting at a piano bench (I sit better and I'm able to get the screen in a better position)
 Andy Hardy 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH:
If her desk has adjustable feet, could you cobble up some screw in extension pieces to fix the height at 'standing'. By using the threaded holes in the bottom of the desk legs to bolt onto a frame?
Not adjustable but not £00s either
In reply to Si dH:

Could you dig a hole in the office floor for her to stand in?
In reply to Si dH: A good blog post about various solutions here:
http://haacked.com/archive/2012/07/20/code-standing-up.aspx
 Swig 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH:

My plan is to stick the keyboard and monitor on two arms separate arms attached to the wall and do away with the desk (I'll probably have to keep some sort of shelf to put the phone, cups of tea and stuff on. Then I should be able to alternate between sitting and standing. But, I've not done it yet so I can't really recommend it. As others have said the first step for your wife is to get a monitor so she's not craning to look at the laptop screen.

myth 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH: Is this the type of desks architects have?

A lady in our office with back problems has a chair which you sit on in a kneeling position. It forces you to sit up straight.
Sarah G 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Si dH:
Bin the laptop.
Check out this.

http://www.openerg.com/dse/index.html

go through;

It’s a set up- consider also the rhythm and rate of your work; build in changes of activity; e.g. do you temporarily “store” files etc on the floor?! Why? Do you use a laptop at home? If so, check out the laptop set up advice too.

Interactive Self Assessment- email the results to yourself; where you have given a ‘no’ answer, alternative suggestions are offered.

Symptoms- again, focus on any issues you may have- alternative suggestions are offered.

• Use your chair properly- not just to set it up as a static chair, but also to make sure you have it HIGH enough (do you need a foot stool to enable this?) and if it has a tilt mechanism, consider leaving this free to float.

Osmond Ergonomics
http://www.ergoergo.info/login.php

Sxx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...