UKC

pop in forrarm whilst climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pork pie girl 07 Nov 2013
Happened whilst pulling on three finger pocket.. So open handed I think, move felt fine , was repeating it as working on a problem, heard a pop and sharp pain span inner forearm. No pain or swelling or bruising apart from when I try hanging open handed or push against slight resistance with ring finger.. That's when I feel pain about 3/4 of the,way down inner forearm and bit in finger. It's fine doing pull ups on jugs or larger flat holds.

Bit sore,ahem I press in same place I feel pain in forearm

Advice please.. Take it I shouldn't go climbing tomorrow

UKB Shark 07 Nov 2013
In reply to pork pie girl:

Sounds bad Andrea,

If you post the above info on the below thread then Matt or Steve from Hallamshire Physiotherapy should be able to give you some pointers tomorrow.

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,22460.msg409986.html#msg40998...
 Simon4 07 Nov 2013
In reply to pork pie girl: Any visible distortion?

I'm afraid to say that sounds horribly like a ruptured tendon, hope I'm wrong.
OP pork pie girl 07 Nov 2013
In reply to shark: cheers simon.. Just registered now. Thanks ..
In reply to Simon4:nothing visible anywhere in fingers or arm.. Ruptured tendon in finger you think?
 The Fox 07 Nov 2013
In reply to pork pie girl: have sent you text but guessing you've no reception. Feel free to drop me a line but re-posting as Simon's advice a good idea.
In reply to pork pie girl: Hope it turns out alright!
In reply to Francis Charlesworth: me too
In reply to The Fox: cheers paul.. I'll just put my phone somewhere I geta signal .. Ukb needs to check out my email add as i've Just registered tonight so can't post on there straight away
 Simon4 07 Nov 2013
In reply to pork pie girl: Like I say, I hope I am wrong and am talking nonsense. Was it like an electric shock when it happened?

Pain in inner lower forearm and finger? Could be one of the finger tendons. How far down the finger does it give grief?
 UKB Shark 08 Nov 2013
> (In reply to The Fox) cheers paul.. I'll just put my phone somewhere I geta signal .. Ukb needs to check out my email add as i've Just registered tonight so can't post on there straight away

You probably need to respond to an activation email
Hirosim 08 Nov 2013

You likely have a flexor tendon injury. No climbing.
 mattrm 08 Nov 2013

Sounds grim. No climbing I reckon and might be worth a trip to the GP / a physio. Hope you're ok.
 Dennis999 08 Nov 2013

Sounds like a flexor unit strain, I'd stay off it for now and get an official opinion.
 cb_6 15 Nov 2013
In reply to pork pie girl: I'd just add that if you suspect a tendon injury, in the meantime icing the area might help. I've had tendon injuries before, not to my forearm admittedly, but I've hurt my shoulder climbing and my hamstring and Achilles tendons running. Even when I just had sore quads (so not an injury, just DOMS) icing helped with recovery.
 waldenmatt 15 Nov 2013
Ouch, sounds nasty. After something similar recently (ring finger left hand, pain in the forearm after an open handed move) I was advised to ice immediately after the injury (24-48hrs).
This helped, as did staying off it completely and gentle stretching during the recovery phase (after the initial damage-limitation repair bit) to ensure the muscle tissue damage didn't build up lumpy scar tissue as it healed.
This fellers website has a few useful articles on this type of thing, I thought it was helpful (ymmv). http://thomasbondphysio.blogspot.co.uk/p/contents_7.html

Hope its not too bad - mine was painful in the way you describe for about 4 weeks, then less so for another 4 weeks or so. I went back to climbing after about 6-8 weeks. If you're desperate to climb you could however do this vimeo.com/30859142 ahem.
Best of luck
f

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...