UKC

Read-aloud app?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JJL 08 Nov 2013
Is there an app that will read my e-mails or reports to me whilst I'm driving?
 Martin W 08 Nov 2013
In reply to JJL: What OS are you using: Android, iOS or something else?
OP JJL 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin W:

It's an iPad
 Martin W 08 Nov 2013
In reply to JJL: Ah, sorry, can't help you with that. I know that Macs have a text-to-speech function but it's not something I'd want to use while driving.

Android devices can use Google text-to-speech but even that's not very driver-friendly. I know there is an Android app called Jarvis that will read texts out when they arrive, and in theory you can dictate texts back that it will send (though I've never found in-car voice recognition to be very reliable).

None of which is any help to you, but it might bump your question so someone who does have an answer can spot it!
 Philip 08 Nov 2013
The text ones are okay but the email ones tend to get thrown by HTML emails.
 lost1977 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin W:

May seem like a backwards question but any idea if there is anything that will do the opposite on android (convert voicemail to text)
OP JJL 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin W:

What about something to read out Word documents?

I just want to use long drives productively
 Martin W 09 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977: Google "android voicemail to text" - the first three hits are apps on the Play store, and there's a fair few forum threads on the topic after that.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope as to the accuracy or usefulness of the transcription, though, to be honest.
 Martin W 09 Nov 2013
In reply to JJL: Sorry, no real idea what's available on iOS. Try search the Apple app store for "text to speech".

The built-in text-to-speech function on Mac OS X is very robotic and the pronunciation is often a tad wonky. I think it would drive me mad after about ten minutes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...