UKC

What does it mean if people describe somebody as 'very open'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 09 Nov 2013

Not in a being honest sense I gather, but more of an emotional sense.

I'm after people's thoughts...

Thanks.
 Jon Stewart 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:

heart on sleeve?
 tlm 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:

I only thought it meant that you were willing to be honest with people? That you don't try to hide things from them?
OP Timmd 09 Nov 2013
In reply to tlm: I suppose it can mean unguarded emotionally as well?

I'll fess up to it being used to describe myself, a friend was telling me I was very open, and a bit concerned about me going dating. She told me to be more guarded. She's the second person to have told me I'm very open, which is what set me wondering.

Quite interesting...

Mystery solved. ()
 John_Hat 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Personally I think being described as "open" is a compliment. Being described as "closed" is certainly negative when you think about it.
 tlm 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> I'll fess up to it being used to describe myself, a friend was telling me I was very open, and a bit concerned about me going dating. She told me to be more guarded. She's the second person to have told me I'm very open, which is what set me wondering.

I would only say that meant that you don't hide what you are feeling. I don't see that as a bad thing if that is who you are. Why play games and pretend you don't feel things if you do? Why be guarded? People play too many games in life, and I just don't see the point.

Yanis Nayu 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd: I think it's a positive thing in general.
ice.solo 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Usually positive, to be 'open' to ideas and expressing themselves.
Tho there will be people threatened by those things who give it a negative spin.
 Dauphin 09 Nov 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

On the other hand the birds don't half love dark and brooding.
Don't give it all way mate, channel some of the unfathomed mystery of the universe, the unfolding mystery of yourself.

Or even yer sen.

D
 FreshSlate 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd: Open legs.
 Alyson 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:
>
> Not in a being honest sense I gather, but more of an emotional sense.
>
You can be honest without giving a lot away about yourself. I'd say being open involves trusting people with personal stuff - be it facts or feelings. To some folk this can seem to make you quite vulnerable so perhaps that's why your friend worries.
Jim C 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:
>
> Not in a being honest sense I gather, but more of an emotional sense.
>
> I'm after people's thoughts...
>
> Thanks.

I might use it as a euphemism for 'Needy'.
( but then I'm oft told by my family that I'm at the other extreme, so maybe my views are skewed)
 Jon Stewart 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Dauphin:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
>
> On the other hand the birds don't half love dark and brooding.
> Don't give it all way mate, channel some of the unfathomed mystery of the universe, the unfolding mystery of yourself.
>
> Or even yer sen.
>
> D

I'm not sure you can rely on everyone to respond the same way birds do.
 peppermill 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:

I think it depends who you are with. I've never really had a problem talking about something that has upset me or telling a daft story about something stupid I've done in the past.

Some people respond very well to this and it makes for a great conversation/friendship but others look at me like I'm nuts!

If it's dating we're talking about you'll probably have a much better time if you're one of the open types.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...