UKC

Telling a mate his breath stinks.......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 10 Nov 2013
We're not talking the odd occasion forgetting to brush his teeth.
Full on halitosis where a car full of us are nearly gippin
If it was me I'd want to know but I can't bring myself to talk to him.

Should I mtfu and just tell him?

Cheers,

E
 Dax H 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty: Yes you should do but make it private and tactful.
 el diablo 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty: Yeah, best not ask "You been necking turds?"
Jd
KevinD 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty:

yes mtfu.
Or alternatively, as much as I hate to mention it in November, some subtle Christmas presents may be in order.
Tim Chappell 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty:

I'm slightly surprised by the question... you don't come across as the kind of person who is shy about telling it like it is
 Chrismith 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty: Really? If it was me or any of my mates we'd get some wrigleys thrown at us and the piss taken ruthlessly. Ah well, thick skin and all that...
OP Enty 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> I'm slightly surprised by the question... you don't come across as the kind of person who is shy about telling it like it is

I know Tim but it's slightly more complicated as there is work involved and he's a friend but not a close circle friend.

E

OP Enty 10 Nov 2013
In reply to dissonance:

Already tried slipping a bottle of mouthwash in his bag.

E
Oliiver 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty: Why don't you, make your own breath smell and exhale over him?
 Dax H 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty: It's easy to do.
Words along these lines worked for me when a work colleague had realy bad bo in the afternoon.

Hi Fred, could I have a quiet word please pal.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way because I am not trying to be offensive but your breath is getting a bit on the ripe side old chap.
If your not aware of it, it might be worth nipping to the dentist to get your gums looked at just in case.

Hopefully he onto take offence, in my case the guy had changed deodorant to a supermarket own brand and it was wearing off by lunch time. He took it well and thanked me for saying something and changed back and it all good now.
 Richard Horn 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty:

Bad halitosis is usually down to gum disease, smelly breath cannot come from the stomach unless you are burping! As gum disease is serious - your friend will likely lose their teeth, and it is also linked to heart disease it should be addressed, and it has to be pretty bad for the smell to be noticeable usually the bacteria are underneath the gum line until it starts to advance. But this might make it easier to say something like - "have you ever been checked for gum disease? I can smell the bacteria"

Mind you it wont necessarily solve it, gum disease is very expensive to treat and it you have to continually treat it for the rest of your life. I suffer and I have to shell out £600 a year in dental hygienist bills, but I pay it not have my teeth fall out and bad breath!
 MJ 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Dax H:

Yes you should do but make it private and tactful.

I remember someone in work having really bad body odour. It got to the stage, where people were starting to complain to management and saying that they would refuse to work with him.
The Production Manager asked the Production Supervisor to have a chat with the guy, but as he was quite sensitive, to be subtle, tactful and discreet.
"Leave it to me" says Jeff.
Next thing, he goes into a busy canteen and says loudly to Mike "Mike, I don't want to offend you, but you're humming like a dog".
 mack 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty:

Are you sure he doesn't brush his teeth? Bad breath could be due to gum disease, or even worse Diabetes. Take him aside and politely enquire as to his health. He probably won't be offended if his thinks you are looking out for him.
 Reach>Talent 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty:
Taking a wild guess is he a bit funny about his diet? I know a few people who occasionally cut out carbs and it can cause pretty foul breath.
Maybe force feed him a bag of skittles?
 lost1977 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty:

next time your round his house go to the toilet and put some shit on his toothbrush, he will get the message and even if you get the wrong toothbrush he will still get the message
 gethin_allen 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty:
After much debate in the office I was the one to confront a colleague about her excessive deoderant use and how another colleague was having to leave the room when she was there to avoid triggering her asthma. All was going well when I tactfully spoke to her while we were alone, until another colleague came into the room and the perfume woman asked this person who, after complaining strongly about the perfume 5 min earlier, back pedaled furiously leaving me looking like a fool.

From this I learned not to rely on colleagues back you up and also that however nice you try and make it someone will always come off worse for it.
 johncook 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent: If he is on a high protein diet he will reek. It is called Ketoneuresis. Had a relative (ok ex wife now) who went on Atkins. You could smell her a mile away, not just her breath, we lived in Texas and her profuse sweat was as bad.
Good luck Enty, but ask a few questions first, and it may be easier. (No I don't mean ask if he has been eating road kill!)
Tim Chappell 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Enty:

I'd say tell him, then get away fast. Even if he comes in time to see the sense in what you're telling him, he quite possibly won't straight away. It's not an easy thing to accept about yourself. Quite possibly his first response will be embarrassment- and hurt-fuelled aggression.

So say it then get out of there and give him time to think it over.

Bit like UKC really
 lost1977 10 Nov 2013
In reply to johncook:

keto breath is due to the lack of carbs rather than the high protein and generally goes away after a few weeks. bodybuilder arse is due to high protein

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...