UKC

Broken ankle rehab

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 didntcomelast 10 Nov 2013
A month ago this coming Tuesday I managed to break my fibula by falling from an indoor boulder wall. ( Missed the last hold and forgot how to land).

Any way I underwent surgery and had a plate and 8 screws inserted. I was put into a plaster cast which I wore for three weeks. I used crutches to get around and didn't weight bear on the injured limb throughout.

Had the cast and stitches removed last Wednesday and expected to be put into a further cast or at best a plastic 'walking boot'.

However the registrar was so pleased with the way my foot had healed and the fact that I had some flexibility in my ankle joint put me into an 'Aircast' ankle brace, telling me to take things easy and don't do anything stupid.

I have still been using the crutches to get around (with retreat into a wheelchair when my body told me I was tired).

I intended to start some rehab training this week with very gentle flexing of the ankle and rotational exercises. I have the rubber physio bands which I may use to provide gentle resistance.

However, am I doing this too quickly after injury. I know my legs are very strong and I am in very good physical shape, I also know to listen to my body and know not to push things too soon.

Has anyone experience of this type of injury and rehab timescales.
Oliiver 10 Nov 2013
In reply to didntcomelast: I'd personally have your foot amputated. I'm afraid there's no hope.
OP didntcomelast 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: That was an option I considered initially, especially when I could then take advantage of all of the right foot display boots in outdoor shops.

However the consultant said he had spare meccano pieces from his latest model build and B&Q had a special offer for countersunk screws.
 Mr Lopez 10 Nov 2013
In reply to didntcomelast:

Disclaimer: Everyone and every injury is different. I'm not a doctor, but someone who broke the fibula and tibia 6 weeks ago and it's dealing with similar stuff. So take it as you will.

'Usually' you'd do passive ankle range of motion exercises since about week 3/4. When you can move the ankle throughout its normal range or close to it, start working in moving it without assistance. Once you can do that you start introducing resistance exercises with a teraband or similar.

After the bone is declared 'healed', normally between weeks 4 and 6, you start weight bearing on it gradually. It's advisable to start with the foot in a scale to have a gauge. Normal to start loading it with 10/15kgs and move from there depending how it feels by using only one crutch or a cane if you like to be stylish.

Most importantly, get a physio (a proper one, not just some person who can do a sport massage) and don't ask for advice online. Those are the guys who actually study for this, have the experience, and will be able to see your case and tell you exactly what and how much.

Good luck
Oliiver 10 Nov 2013
In reply to didntcomelast: you've made me laugh. What a fellow.
OP didntcomelast 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Mr Lopez: Thanks for the update. I have little faith in NHS physio's to be honest so may have to look toward a private one (subject to cost).

I base this lack of faith on a fair bit of experience due to 4 separate lots of 'physio' in relation to torn ankle ligaments, none were particularly constructive and one suggested I was too old for off road running???

Fortunately I only broke my Fib which is not really a weight bearing bone and the registrar indicated weight bearing could start on a gradual basis.
 Mr Lopez 10 Nov 2013
In reply to didntcomelast:

Yes, unfortunately going private is the only real option... At least until you feel like you are back enough to normal that rehab just becomes training.

For a leg injury i'd look for physio recommendations in a running forum or similar, since a sympathetic physio is the difference between a quick smooth recovery and some patronising tw*t telling you to do nothing more strenuous than watching football on tv.

The fibula is not 'that' weight bearing, but it does an important job at stabilising the ankle, so stuff like going off-road running probably qualifies by the doc as 'doing something stupid' (yet)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...