UKC

Bathroom DIY

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 11 Nov 2013
I’m buying a new house, the bathroom is a bit dated, Nice deep green, tub, sink and bog.

Finances at the moment won’t permit me to replace the bits.

Is it possible to repaint a bathroom suite?
Or is this a terrible idea?
 ByEek 11 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:

> Is it possible to repaint a bathroom suite?
Yes.

> Or is this a terrible idea?
Yes.

Embrace it and relive what was exceedingly fashionable in the 80's.

PS Swapping out a bath for a new one is neither expensive nor difficult as long as you don't intend to move it.

teflonpete 11 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:

You can get tile paint and you can get a paint coating for enameled baths but it peels after a short while and looks crap. Don't think there's a paint for vitreous china though so you wouldn't be able to do anything with the basin and pan.
Oliiver 11 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember: what's a "bog"?
 Neil Williams 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Toilet. WC. Crapper.

Neil
 Neil Williams 11 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:

If it's functional I'd put up with it until you can afford to do the job properly.

Neil
 LastBoyScout 11 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:

It gets expensive if you don't re-use the old taps and if you do do that and cut holes for them, if you then replace the taps later, they may not line up and you'll have to buy another bath.

Also depends how much damage it does to the wall when you take the old bath out - they are often screwed to the wall with brackets that have corroded into a solid lump by now. Might also end up uncovering a load of water damage behind/under the bath and then the job really starts to snowball...

It it's an 80s bath, it's likely to be an Imperial length and a new one might well leave a gap at the end - as happened in my parent's bathroom.
Rigid Raider 11 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:

You can re-enamel baths and WC pans, basins etc but it always looks a bit ropey and if you don't do it very well you get bubbles forming. A loan to redo the bathroom wouldn't cost much in interest and places like B&Q do some pretty attractive packages with the basic sanitaryware. Alternatively try calling Boundary Bathrooms in Colne, Lancs and asking if they can put together a budget package for you from old stock or returned stock etc.
 Toerag 11 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember: buy the house. live in it a year. Then think about what you want to change - you'll find your priorities may change with the experience of living in it.
Rigid Raider 11 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:

Blimey, how did I guess? Look what I found when I checked their website:

http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/complete-suites-6444-0000

QUICK!
Removed User 11 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember: It's not 'green' it's 'avocado'. Suck it up until you can afford to replace. Any other option will be a traversty.
 gethin_allen 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Toerag:
spot on advice. You may find that something else comes along way before the bathroom. When I bought my place almost 2 years ago I was sure that I'd change the bathroom asap. Unfortunately the boiler packed in 3 weeks after I bought it and that cost me £2200 to sort so I'm only getting to the bathroom now.
 marsbar 11 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember: Terrible idea.
 Siward 11 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember: that DIY store beginning with W is selling entire suites starting at £200 taps and all. OK that's bottom end but perfectly adequate stuff. I bet paint would cost you over 50, and be no good to boot...
 winhill 11 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:

you can get baths for nothing, they're a hinderance to anyone doing a new bathroom, save them the cost of a skip maybe and offer to strip it out for them.

put a wanted on freecycle or try ebay, it won't cost more than fiver.

get a steel bath, it's likely to be in better condition. buy a new bog for less than £50, you need to feel comfortable on the bog.
 gethin_allen 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Siward:
> (In reply to goldmember) that DIY store beginning with W is selling entire suites starting at £200 taps and all. OK that's bottom end but perfectly adequate stuff. I bet paint would cost you over 50, and be no good to boot...

Indeed,
I was in my local and they were selling off the ex-display stuff for very very little. They were taped together on a trolley ready to wheel off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...