Walls & Training forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Gym for mountaineering/winter climbing

Mr Fuller on 11 Nov 2013
Iím recovering from skierís thumb, for which I had some minor surgery and was in a short arm and thumb cast for 9 weeks. I have now been out of the cast for five weeks and have the all-clear from the doctor to go do pretty-much anything. Iíve spent the last couple of months running and much of the summer cycling, so my cardioís in pretty good form. However, having not used my upper body for months Iím weak as anything and my grip strength (specifically pinches) is obviously pathetic.

Iíve joined the local gym for two reasons: 1) I want to get some strength back quickly and before-work gym sessions are more convenient than climbing sessions; 2) I do a fair bit of cardio stuff, climbing and circuit training but have never used a gym.

At the moment Iím still finding my feet and finding out what stuff does what, but Iím also guilty of sticking to the stuff I know (pull-ups, press-ups, dips, lunges, burpee pull-ups, etc.) and some of the machines are a bit lost on me. Iíve a couple of friendly gym-going mates who can show me how to use stuff, but whatís the best bar-bell stuff for mountaineering-specific strength training? Deadlift, squats and benchpress, then bodyweight stuff on top? Should I be going for high reps and low weight or low reps and high weight? If someone could name say, five gym-based exercises thatíd be useful for Scottish winter and alpine summer stuff thatíd be great.
... not showing 4 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums