UKC

Car/van to convert as microcamper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerwolf 11 Nov 2013
Hello all,

I'm currently looking for a van (I say van, I mean car with rear windows) such as a Citreon Berlingo, Renault Kangoo, Fiat Doblo, Peurgeot Partner or any other van with a car based chassis and rear seats and windows to use as a day-to-day car, but also for weekend trips away for multiple passengers cragging (therefore with the ability to sleep in the back.)

I'm aiming to build a structure that can be easily removed to keep the car functioning as a car 99% of the time

However, at the minute, I'm struggling with which of the vans to look for, second-hand wise, as I have no previous experience of these vehicles.
Also, I know that the Berlingo comes in many types and varieties, and a quick research on the web lead me to think the Berlingo Multispace HDI 2.0 was the best version to look for....?

Can anybody let me know which they think is the best vehicle for this, and any pitfalls related to that model to look out for secondhand, as once I have decided on what vehicle, I can start a bit more of a serious look for a purchase and price range, mileage, age etc!

Thank you in advance!
Tom
 Liam M 11 Nov 2013
In reply to gingerwolf: We went for a Berlingo and fitted one of these http://www.amdro.co.uk/jump.php . The Berlingo and Partner are essentially the same and the Kangoo and Dobio very similar.

The choice was simply due to there being more Berlingos around so there was more chance of finding a decent example. This was particularly the case as we wanted a petrol one (we'd found warnings about the fuel filter on diesels if used for infrequent and shorter journeys) and they were much less common.

We've not had any problems with it so far.
 Richard Baynes 11 Nov 2013
In reply to gingerwolf: There is a rare amnd elusive creature which is a Peugeot partner van or its citroen equivalent with three seats up front, and a longer body which means an adult man can stretch out in it. This would be my dream vehicle. It might fit your criteria in a roundabout way?
 pec 11 Nov 2013
In reply to gingerwolf: You could consider something bigger like a Ford Galaxy/Seat Alhambra?
OP gingerwolf 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Liam:
Thanks liam, I've seen the Amdro conversions before, I'm aiming to do a similar thing, just on the cheaper side, lol!

I haven't considered anything bigger, as I want the vehicle to be easy to park and use on a day to day practicality side driving to and from work

And didn;t know about the long based peorgeut partner, but I'm guessing they are few and far between, and therefore not going ot find a second hand one cheap or easily!

Thanks for the comments so far
Tom
llechwedd 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Richard Baynes:
> (In reply to gingerwolf) There is a rare amnd elusive creature which is a Peugeot partner van or its citroen equivalent with three seats up front, and a longer body which means an adult man can stretch out in it.?

Richard- I recall you were after the 3 seater in a previous post.
There's a forum article or two on coverting the 2 seater to a 3 on the Berlingoforum website under Mk3 Second Generation if you're still interested. I happened upon it yesterday.

blondel 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Richard Baynes:

The Citroen version is the Dispatch. I've got one that I've been using this year as a base for trips in the Highlands. I have an exceedingly comfortable single bed in the back, curtains on wires (I have rear windows), stacking boxes for storage, and handy slots at the top of the side doors for hanging my clothes. I've done five weeks at a time in positive luxury (it's the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in); but I've been able to take everything out in less than ten minutes and use it for moving furniture. Best of all worlds.

However, it will be surplus to requirements early in 2014. I've finally bought a cottage in the Highlands (yay!) and once I've got myself sorted I'll be looking to exchange the van for a Volvo V40 (which is what I was driving before, and I miss it). I'll be advertising the van then; but PM if you want to know more about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...