UKC

any one have experience with this (VAT question)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lost1977 11 Nov 2013
If I want privately bought hearing aids (which are noticeably better and would help me at work) unlike many disabled people I would still have to pay VAT which does almost put them out of reach for me financially.

Can I ask my employer to buy on my behalf and get exception from VAT (happy to have it taken out my pay if I could)

Work is where I use them the most

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim21846.htm
 DNS 12 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977:

Re VAT specifically, I don't know.

From an employer's perspective I am (not unreasonably) required to fund biennial eye tests and provide 'suitable' glasses for those who need them if they are using display screen equipment.

Where I have had peiople with an existing disability or a progressive medical condition I have had to make 'reasonable' adjustments to the workplace (accessible offices, big screens, allowing flexible working) - none of which I have a problem with.

If the provision of better quality aids would make it easier for you to perform your job, and therefore make you more effective or productive, I would hope any reasonable employer would consider funding or partly funding the necessary equipment.

Could you pose the question to Action on Hearing Loss, or one of the other national bodies?
 Rob Exile Ward 12 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977: You may be disappointed at what proportion of a hearing aid is VATable - its worth asking the question. A large proportion of te value of aids use to be non-VATable 'professional fees.' Even it it was worthwhile getting your employer to pay for them and then getting him/her to reclaim the VAT is likely to be construed as VAT fraud. In your case it may seem reasonable, but what if everyone bought everything through their employer, who then claimed the VAT back? No VAT would ever be collected.
 hokkyokusei 12 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977:

From the link you quoted, it would appear to be acceptable, as long as you are actually disabled. It wasn't clear to me if that was the case in your post?
 Andy Hardy 12 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977:

Have you been in contact with hmrc? I have to say every time I've had dealings with them they've been very helpful (and you'd be getting advice from the horses mouth as it were)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...