UKC

Fontainebleau Camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dartfrog 12 Nov 2013
Hi

I am heading to Font in summer. I have tried to book campsites in the area of La Chapelle-la-Reine and Milly-La-Foret. I have had no reply.

It may be early as I am told most sites do not open until spring. That said I would have thought they would take bookings.

Any information would be of help.

I have also noticed that the guide books for Font are a bit of a minefield. I would imagine fixed problems with the odd circuit would be the order of the day so if anyone can recomend a good one.

Any seasoned Font heads out there?

D
 remus Global Crag Moderator 12 Nov 2013
In reply to dartfrog: Unless you're the nervous type you'll probably be alright just turning up at a campsite, all the ones I've been to over the years are pretty large and are rarely pushed for space. On a related note, Campin les Prez in Grez-sur-loing is a nice site, pretty big with good facilities and very reasonably priced. It also has a very nice river that is lovely to swim in on a summers evening.

Guidebooks: if you can get your hands on it Essential Fontainebleau will cover your needs, it's currently out of print though. Failing that, 5+6 and 7+8 are good for individual problems, the new white circuit book is pretty good for circuits. Avoid the old purple circuits book.
 Carolyn 12 Nov 2013
In reply to dartfrog:

I've always booked La Musardiere (Milly la Foret) when it's been main summer holidays, but only a couple of weeks in advance, although don't think it's ever been so full you wouldn't be let on if you don't want electric hook up. They've always got back to me, but sometimes taken a few days. But I think they do close over the winter.
 Alun 12 Nov 2013
In reply to dartfrog:
The camping at Grez sur Loing has an enormous field so you won't need to book. But if you do want to call then they speak good English.

The camping at Milly is smaller but much nearer the boulders.

There are millions of threads and several articles on this site about font, including several guidebook reviews and a FAQ, so plenty to read.
 Trangia 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to dartfrog)
> The camping at Grez sur Loing has an enormous field so you won't need to book.

You do if your visit coincides with Dutch or Belgium holidays when they descend en mass!!
 SFrancis 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Trangia: +1 to this comment, we were in grez sur loing this summer, and a German/Austrian Parkour group turned up on mass. We returned to find that some of their members had pitched on top of our tent, our guide ropes went into their porch and we were encircled. That being said, most years we have booked a week in advance and been fine. Lovely campsite, that allows fires (bring a hacksaw to cut up logs) and generally is full of good people to hang out with... highly recommend.
In reply to dartfrog:

+1 for the camping at Grez sur Loing, definitely recommended!
Details here - http://www.ukclimbing.com/listings/info.php?id=518&t=stay
 Bulls Crack 12 Nov 2013
In reply to dartfrog:

I tried booking Mill once - they were a bit surprised to be asked a few weeks in advance and even though they had our names there was no reserved space as such so I wouldn't bother - you can always find somewhere down the bottom of the hill!

I recommend Cordees' Fontainebleau Climbs AND a map
 hellboundblr 12 Nov 2013
In reply to dartfrog:

I liked this book. Lots of photos.

Fontainebleau Fun Bloc - Escalade Bouldering (Jingo Wobbly)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fontainebleau-Fun-Bloc-Bouldering-Photo-guide/dp/18...
OP dartfrog 13 Nov 2013
Thanks ,

I will check out the above....

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...