UKC

Is any one fascinated by Shakespeare's Twelfth Night?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
I need some critical analysis on Malvolio. Can you help me for my A level English lit?
Shearwater 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
I like the bit where everyone gets eaten by a troll.
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Shearwater: Have you even read it?
 cfer 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: You really should be doing this yourself, if you ask for help you obviously don't understand the text, I am all for you putting your thoughts and asking what others think but it sounds like you want someone to do all the work for you...

Have a look at this then take a stab yourself, pretty sure others will be more receptive if you have some ideas to put forward yourself and will help you expand them...

http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Critical-Analysis
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: I'm compiling course work, and i thought i'd use other people's analysis of Malvolio + my own.
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

afraid not my man. Im more of a Romeo and Juliet Kind of guy.

That bit with the gun Stand off in the petrol station between the crips and the bloods, genius. That shakey he was way ahead of his time.
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to teflonpete: I'll have a read thanks Teflon. Have you read it your self? If so, tell me what you think
 cfer 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: That's my point though, this is work to evaluate how you view the subject and whether you can understand the ideas and concepts present.
I would be happy to discuss it with you, as it is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays, and a very unique character, but without you contributing, it feels more like you want all the analysis done for you.

Start with the name...Do you know the meaning of it? as it bears a lot to the portrayal of Malvolio, then what are you thoughts on the character? How does he act? perceive himself? think of others? why does he act like he does? How do his actions and behaviour make others treat him?
 Philip 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
> I need some critical analysis on Malvolio.

He's a sneaky cvnt.
 Toby S 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Do the work yourself you lazy wee shite.
 teflonpete 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Yes, did it for English lit O level 30 years ago and saw it at a theatre in London about 7 years ago with Derek Jacoby playing Malvolio. Can't really remember that much about it tbh and I'm just leaving work now so haven't got time to go into an in depth analysis of the character. Basically Shakespeare pokes fun at the outward puritanical piety of Malvolio's character by revealing a secret desire within him to be rich, powerful and loved by lady Olivia, hence he sets him up to be the butt of the joke with the forged love letter, causing Malvolio to visually reveal his inner desires by turning up dressed like a fool.
 teflonpete 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to Oliiver)
>
> Do the work yourself you lazy wee shite.

^^^And this^^^ ;0)
In reply to cfer: Start with the name...Do you know the meaning of it?total guess..Machievelli?
 Toby S 14 Nov 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

I did feel a little bit bad after posting that
 teflonpete 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
> (In reply to cfer) Start with the name...Do you know the meaning of it?total guess..Machievelli?

A play on the word malevolence?
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

You can quote me on this in your Essay.

Regardless of what teachers and Snobs may tell you, Shakespeare doesnt have any relevance to modern Life. Its old, Boring as hell, and awkward to read. why bother? (Choss, 2013 or 2014, i honestly cant Remember Which)
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: woah, what's with the harsh comments? I don't think you understand. This is coursework, i need extra criticism other than my own. I just thought, i'd see if any one from ukc was partial for a bitter of shakespeare, rather than resorting to google. Malvolio means Ill willed in italian.
 Sir Chasm 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: I applaud your use of the internet to do your homework, the grumpy old sods above are merely jealous they didn't have that option. Also pay no attention to anyone who tells you Malvolio is a "very unique" character.
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus: A bit of internetting shows me to be an ignoramus (not for the first time)

Ill Will or sick Bill

Philip 14 Nov 2013
> Malvolio means Ill willed in italian.

Are you sure? Malva is mauve and olio is oil. Surely it means Mauve Oil and refers directly to Act 2 Sc 3.

KevinD 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
> I need some critical analysis on Malvolio. Can you help me for my A level English lit?

bit of a commie in my opinion.
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: Look, i've got to make an essay on the theme of "comedy" in Twelfth night. I've watched the play and i didn't laugh one bit.
 toad 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: Cross gartered stockings. Stylish, but sooooo comfortable
abseil 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

It's about a white whale. Captain Ahab represents putting bolts in on grit.
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
> (In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus) A bit of internetting shows me to be an ignoramus (not for the first time)
>
That explains things then 7;^P

Choss 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Shouldnt you be self Reliant and all that Tory clapTrap?

why are you asking for help From us?

Im confused?
 Clarence 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Philip:
> [...]
>
> Are you sure? Malva is mauve and olio is oil. Surely it means Mauve Oil and refers directly to Act 2 Sc 3.

Nonsense, Volio comes from Volare (to fly) so Mal Volio is airsickness...
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Clarence: Wtf? Who am i to believe?
KevinD 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
> (In reply to Clarence) Wtf? Who am i to believe?

baby jesus
In reply to Choss: ha! chapeau...although I think my unlearned moments are on different threads to the ones you are referring to
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:
>
Shakespeare doesnt have any relevance to modern Life.

And that, in brilliantly succinct summary, is precisely what's wrong with modern life.
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to Choss)
> [...]
> Shakespeare doesnt have any relevance to modern Life.
>
>
> And that, in brilliantly succinct summary, is precisely what's wrong with modern life.

But its true. Suck it up Tim.

Shakespeare Licks balls.

Why would you want it to have any relevance to modern Life? Its garbage.
 Toby S 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

<<points to the door>> OUT! Get out! Tim, would you be a dear and kick him in the nads?
 Brass Nipples 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

All of Shakespeare's works were about relationships, the twist and turns and plotting of those relationships , and their reaction to unexpected outcomes. How can you say it is not relevant to modern life?

I too studied Twelfth Night during my ''O' Level English Lit over 21 years ago and I saw the play on a school trip to Royal Shakespeare Company. I ended up dating a girl after that school trip, she love my commentary on the play. We found it very funny.
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
> (In reply to Choss)
>
>
> Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.

Yeah. Boogle floogle flibbedy flop!
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

First off: it's a play. So to start with at least, don't worry about reading it. Have you seen it?

If not, try Kenneth Branagh's tv version, here:

youtube.com/watch?v=6i3J17Jp0ag&
 Choss 14 Nov 2013

I was going to respond in cuneiform to Show how Clever i am but my keyboard doesnt Support that.

So i replied in gibberish instead. Thats exactly what your post was to me.
 Choss 14 Nov 2013

ill give that a swerve then.

Cant Stand Kenneth Brannagh, or Shakespeare.

The thought of watching both in a Language i dont Understand bores the arse off me quite Frankly.
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Looking around, I'm betting the best version of Twelfth Night is the one with Mel Smith, Ben Kingsley, Nigel Hawthorne, Helena Bonham Carter, and Imogen Stubbs in it. This one:

/itm/like/291013142364?lpid=83&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83

But that is a bet, because I haven't seen it. Still, you've got plenty of time if you're doing this for A level--might be worth investing in at least a couple of DVDs of it, especially if you haven't seen it, and especially if they're cheap.
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
PS That's right, that link doesn't work. It will if you stick www. ebay. co. uk on the front of it, with no spaces. (If I try and show you the link in one, UKC's software thinks I'm trying to sell you something.)
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Beat me to it!:

Youre Lucky!

You got laid off the Back of being Forced to endure a Shakespeare.

My girlfriends have made me Suffer the Tedious lot.

Was made to sit through one of many rubbish RSC Productions at the barbican, it was dire. Half way through i realised one of the Actors was none Other than Jean Luc Picard. At an appropriate Point i Shouted make it so number one! I didnt get laid that night. Earache yes, but laid no.

Same at a Pointless performance of much ado about Nothing, and ill tell you for Nothing, Shakey got the title of that crock Right. There was a fat Actor asking where someone was, and they were Just behind a wooden fake Tree behind him, so i shouted hes behind you. Didnt go down well.
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Also, when it does come to reading it: what text are you using? Use the Arden. Accept no substitutes.

And don't be misled by all the guff on the internet. The internet is full of terrible essays on Shakespeare. Don't google them, and don't read them; they're just a distraction and a confusion.

If you attempt to fill your head with something slightly unusual but genuinely worthwhile, such as Shakespeare, you may find that a number of distractions may come up; there are plenty of people out there who want you to remain just as stupefied, brainwashed, and dazed as they are by the sea of commercial noise that we all, unfortunately, live in.
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013

I speak from experience here; last weekend on my way back home from Glyndebourne I was reading Canto XXVIII of Il Paradiso on the Tube. I had got no further than "come in lo specchio fiamma di doppiero" when I was accosted by four large gentlemen with very short hair and HATE tattooed on their knuckles.

All right, perhaps it was unwise of me to read it out loud (as I conceded to the House Officer when I arrived at Casualty). But what, in any case, did they mean by describing me as "a f*cking Dante wanker"?
 Choss 14 Nov 2013

I dont get your joke, but do object to people with Tattooed Knuckles being Stereotyped as Thugs. My Hands knuckles and fingers are covered in Tattoos.
Wiley Coyote2 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> I dont get your joke, but do object to people with Tattooed Knuckles being Stereotyped as Thugs. My Hands knuckles and fingers are covered in Tattoos.

You sound like some kind of thug to me
> (In reply to Choss)
>
>
> Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.

pmsl

(had to google it though...

it was the title of a very good arthur c clarke book, btw...)
 JohnnyW 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

'How now, sot!?'

I read it for my Eng A Lit 31 years ago. I felt sorry for the poor old b, and that's the beauty of well-written, (albeit out-dated in terms of modern spoken English), well-observed and perceptive prose. It can cause you to draw all sorts from just a sentence.

Yes, it's hard work sometimes, but when the 'penny drops', and you start to understand it, it's clever stuff.

Stick with it Oliiver son!
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> I dont get your joke, but do object to people with Tattooed Knuckles being Stereotyped as Thugs. My Hands knuckles and fingers are covered in Tattoos.

Aha! I'm ringing Crimewatch rright nnowww!
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
> (

> it was the title of a very good arthur c clarke book, btw...)

It's from a play by Schiller, The Maid of Orle'ans. Going by Wiki's description, a pretty terrible play...
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013

VOICES OFF: Oi! F*cking Schiller wanker!
<sound of approaching Doc Martens>

<TC skedaddles>

yes

though again i had to google it...

i'd always assumed it was a quote, but i read it in the pre-internet era, so never found out where from, and forgot about it til now.

and just googled the book, oops, it was asimov, not clarke

cheers
gregor

ps impressive thread hijack, btw...

;-D
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Hijack? What hijack? I'm just here to help Ollie with his prep
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

By the way, Oliiver, have you studied Hamlet at all? This might help you.

http://www.lanet.lv/users/judrups/Humor/hamlet.html

Heavens, it might even help Choss.

very good..!

HAMLET: Who the f*ck was that?
(He stabs POLONIUS through the arras.)
POLONIUS: F*ck!
HAMLET: F*ck! I thought it was that other w*nker.
(Exeunt.)

a remarkably good summary of the play, why did shakespeare need 4 hours to tell the story when that manages it 5 mins....?

with lots of swearing...

cheers
gregor
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: I hate / despise Shakespeare. Biggest waste of time ever tbh. I've nearly finished what i need to do, maybe 2 hr + more to go. Btw thanks all for those who made an educational contribution.
In reply to Oliiver:

never got twelfth night, or any of the comedies for that matter

but hamlet and macbeth... awesome stuff.
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

I haven't made any contribution at all, it seems.

In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to Oliiver)
>
> Do the work yourself you lazy wee shite

Prick

Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: Tim, i'm about to watch the play. 2:30HR of pain. I'm doing the Importance of being ernest also, that's ok.
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Perhaps you should look on it as a trip to a foreign country. They do things differently there...

We would think there was something pretty wrong with describing any foreign culture as "crap" and "boring" and "hours of pain".

We'd think that was intolerant. We'd suggest to the speaker that s/he consider the possibility that there might be ways of living and thinking and experiencing that are just as authentic as his/ her own--only different.

We'd wonder why s/he wasn't more curious about human differences, and less dismissive of those who are different from him-/herself.

What applies to places that are distant in space, I think also applies to places that are distant in time.

What do you think, Oliiver?
 Jon Stewart 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Wilde "OK"
Shakespeare "Biggest waste of time ever"

So is there classic literature that you are like, or love, or did you choose English Lit by mistake? Or did you choose it because you thought it would make you look clever, and you weren't bright enough to do Maths?
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Not Thomas hardy or George Elliot, and thats a fact.

A girlfriend made me enjoy a play of the mayor of castorbridge, or mill on the floss. Cant remember Which,
But it was an insult to my ass to sit through it
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: Or, i'm just naturally going to get an A* at English lit? I got the same mark at gcse in Lit and Maths, but my literature mark was slightly stronger.
 Jon Stewart 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

You're going to get an A* by asking strangers on the internet to do the work for you? Good luck.

Why not find something you're really interested in and study that? Surely you're more likely to do well if you're passionate about it?

Oh well, a bit late now, isn't it? Just carry on doing something you don't have a feel for, if you think it will work out.
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: Jon, it's that vs googling the internet for endless hours. It's called "mucking together" up North
 Jon Stewart 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

How do you think people wrote about English literature before the internet?

They read the literature and expressed their own thoughts about it. Seriously, that's what you're meant to do.
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: Yeah. But to achieve the highest bands, you put other ideas into the mix.
Tim Chappell 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Tell me, do you actually want to understand stuff?

Or will you be content with an A*?
 Jon Stewart 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

The ideas that you're expected to put into the mix are not those which come from largely sarcastic people who post on internet forums.

This is not a good way to do your homework, honestly.

What will you do if you don't get at A*s at A-level. It might be worth thinking about.
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
> (In reply to Oliiver)
>
>
> I haven't made any contribution at all, it seems.

You got that Right!
 Philip 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

>
> What will you do if you don't get at A*s at A-level. It might be worth thinking about.

You have to wonder he'll do if he does get an A*. It's not like the job market is crying out for English Lit students with a good grasp of 16th C literature and a poor grasp of sarcasm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...