UKC

Trousers for British winter mountain walking .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SethChili 15 Nov 2013
My main bugbear in winter has always been what to wear on my legs.
Sometimes I've put my cheapo over -trousers on and spent hours slogging through dry snow and getting very sweaty , but if I don't wear them I always seem to end up getting wet , despite the DWR coating on my craghoppers kiwi trousers . I'm always either too hot or cold and damp .
I've got a budget of about £80 , will this be enough to solve the problem?
Any ideas or experience - soft shell or hard shell ? Will Good baselayers help ?
 Siward 15 Nov 2013
Oliiver 15 Nov 2013
In reply to SethChili: Softshell all the way.
 Jim Braid 15 Nov 2013
In reply to SethChili: Thoroughly recommend Paramo Cascada trousers. Quick look at Google shows cost around £100. Got full length side zips which generally take care of the too hot problem. Don't need overtrousers with them and I haven't needed a base layer under them. Best winter trousers I've ever had.
In reply to SethChili:

I always wear Buffalo Special 6 trousers when it drops below 5C. Full side zips mean you can vent as much as you feel the need to if you're working hard.
 Ridge 15 Nov 2013
In reply to SethChili:

I wear Rohan trousers with the 'Barricade' membrane. Warm, but not hot, I don't get sweaty in them, and I was surprised to find out they're actually very waterproof, however you do need a log jacket to cover the top inch or so of the zipped fly, as the waterproof flap doesn't quite protect that area. Very impressed, and machine washing when they're muddy doesn't hurt them any.
SethChili 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Siward:
> (In reply to SethChili)
>
> This thread may help:
>
Thanks , I probably should have searched before hand .

Good suggestions so far .

GrahamD 15 Nov 2013
In reply to SethChili:

Thermals and Ron Hills. Spend your change on beer / guidebooks / fuel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...