UKC

Simple GPS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ColinVern 15 Nov 2013
Hi there,

Is there a simple GPS device on the market that will just give me the distance travelled, and perhaps an average time for each mile? I don't have an iPhone or anything and don't need a fancy app that let's everyone know I've gone for a run each time, just something simple on a reasonable budget.

Many thanks, Colin.
 Mehmet Karatay 15 Nov 2013
In reply to ColinVern:

The Garmin Forerunner 10 comes to mind. http://www.garmin.com/uk/forerunner10

Here's a very indepth review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-watch.html

I'm sure there are others out there, but I haven't gone looking.

Also, if you're looking only to measure distance travelled and get a pace, then you don't necessarily need a GPS watch. The various footpods out there work remarkably well. They measure acceleration to work out distance. If you researched that you may find something cheaper which fits your needs.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 60 with a footpod which works well. Saying that my watch appears to be more expensive than the cheap gps watch, but that's probably because it comes with a heart rate monitor as well.

Hope this helps,
Mehmet
 Banned User 77 15 Nov 2013
In reply to ColinVern: yeah the 10 is good.. its pretty basic but will give you laps.
OP ColinVern 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Mehmet Karatay: Thanks, that is just the sort of thing that I was looking for. I've only recently started running on a regular basis so haven't looked at these sort of products much, but I presume they are all around the same price range?
 Banned User 77 15 Nov 2013
In reply to ColinVern: No this is around the cheapest.. they go up to 100's..
 Malpractise 16 Nov 2013
In reply to ColinVern: i'm looking for one with similar specs but will give you a grid reference so I can use it on the hill as well as running. any ideas?
 Ridge 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Malpractise:
> (In reply to ColinVern) i'm looking for one with similar specs but will give you a grid reference so I can use it on the hill as well as running. any ideas?

You're a bit limited if you're on a budget. A smartphone or basic, (i.e. not really suitable for timing runs), hand held GPS will give you a grid ref. To get a GPS watch that gives a grid ref puts you into the very expensive bracket with all the bells and whistles.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...