UKC

Running from Perth to Dundee?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J Brown 17 Nov 2013
Hello All,

I'm putting in some long runs at the moment, and next weekend I'm going to be in Perth and then heading through to Dundee. I was just thinking I might run it.

I've ran on some on the roads around Errol, Grange, Inchture etc from Dundee previously, so I could piece together that part of the route, but I'm just wondering if someone could help me with route advice for the first part.

Is it possible to get out of Perth and head toward those relatively quiet roads without having to run on / alongside the M90/A90 first - which obviously wouldn't be particularly safe or pleasant.

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Jamie.
 Mark Bull 17 Nov 2013
In reply to J Brown:

There's minor road which goes north of Kinnoul Hill then down Glen Carse before crossing over the A90 and heading towards Errol. Looks like a fair bit of up and down though.
OP J Brown 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:

That could work, I'll take a look at a map to check it out, thanks. At least it would be flat after that hill.

Jamie.
In reply to J Brown: From Perth, you could potentially run (or trudge) up the "cliff run" to the top of Kinnoull Hill and then down the back towards Deuchney. From there you could go through Deuchny using forestry roads, or down the main road towards kinfauns etc. I have only ever done stuff around there on bike, so not sure what it would be like for running. http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/325565573

Otherwise you could run towards Scone alongside the main road (gravel pavement), then take the right (a few hundred metres before scone) towards Murrayshall, up and over the hills and down in to the Carse.
 Alan Breck 17 Nov 2013
In reply to J Brown: It really depends on whether you want a flattish run or a rolling hilly one. The hilly run would take you away from the main road but the roads are narrow & the traffic is sometimes a bit dodgy as they aren't used to runners (or even many cyclists)

Go over to Bridgend & up the brae (Long hard hill!) past Deuchny woods. When you eventually go down a steep hill turn left. Just keep on going until the next downhill takes you to a crossroads. Turn left & keep on going until you're spat out in Inchture. Back road from there to Dundee is pretty flat & easy. I've done it that way on a bike from Dundee to Perth.

If you can brave the main road for a little way then head out to St Madoes & then the back way to Errol. MUCH MUCH flatter. Can be busy with commuter traffic.

Best of luck.
In reply to J Brown: I've ran it a couple of times but in the other direction on roads. Loads of variation in the section you know but I think the nicest and safest way out of Perth is as said above going out via Kinnoull either on road or via the Kinnoull hill tracks- either way is quite hilly but you get it all out of the way at the start. If you have all day then a great off road run is the entire Sidlaws from Kinnoull hill to Craigowl- only tiny brief road sections- did it years ago training for a KIMM- take in every high point along the way! Route is fairly obvious on the OS map- maybe just a few sections we made up jumping fences and walls to cross fields.
Tim Chappell 17 Nov 2013
In reply to J Brown:

It's a pity, but that first bit out of Perth, as far as the St Madoes turning, is pretty dreadful for any kind of travel except car.

I have cycled it a couple of times, but only because for one reason or another I had to. Both times it was atrocious.

If I'm cycling from Perth to Dundee, I go up to Scone and then to Collace and along the back road that runs along the N flank of the Sidlaws. Or I go along the south side of the Tay, through Abernethy, Newburgh, and Wormit.

But I realise either of those would be pretty challenging runs...
OP J Brown 17 Nov 2013
In reply to J Brown:

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Some really good advice here. I'll check the distances on the various options and let you how I get on next weekend.

Cheers.

Jamie.
OP J Brown 24 Nov 2013
In reply to J Brown:

Morning all,

Thanks for the tips - I did the run yesterday. Started at the North Inch and ran up and around the back of Kinnoull Hill, then along back roads to Glencarse, then along to Dundee via Errol, Invergowrie etc. Really good run on a beautiful day - so thanks again.

By the way, beforehand I ran the test event for the new Perth Parkrun. If anyone is interested in Parkrun (weekly, free, 5k races) the first Perth race is next Saturday, Bell's Sports Centre at 09:30. You just need to register online first and take print of the barcode you get to have your results registered. It's a good, flat, course.
 Mark Bull 25 Nov 2013
In reply to J Brown:

Glad you had a good one!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...