UKC

Best online photo storage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nordie_matt 18 Nov 2013
Hi all,

I am hoping to call on the colllective knowledge of UKC here regarding where is best to keep photo's securely online.

I recently started using flickr, and was just wondering is this a secure server (As most of the pictures are family holiday, general days out snaps and the Missus doesnt really want some random folk having a gander)?

Currently I have all the settings on 'Only me' and 'Not publicly searchable'- but I was wondering how effective this is?

The reason I am looking for online storage, rather than just loading them onto an external hard-drive for example, is that I find with having the photos on another device they just got forgot about in the midsts of time.

Any advice or suggestions is gratefully received.

Matt
KevinD 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt:

It will probably be secure, although I think if you guess the url you get in. Given the urls used though its fairly unlikely.
It isnt really intended as an ultra secure storage system though so there may be flaws. Just depends on how much effort someone is willing to invest.

I would also say you need to keep up the external HD usage as well.
Removed User 18 Nov 2013
There's no really 'secure' site. You can sniff file names - and then rip the files - for pretty much all the major sites if you know the login name (and most like photobucket, flickr display the username in the url). Does take a bit more knowledge than most computer literate people tend to have.

Why you'd think anyone would want to access your pics in the first place is a bit of a mystery.

ianstevens 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt:

I just have mine on the computer and an external HD. It seems pretty unlikely that both will break simultaneously...
 iccy 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt:

Depends what you want to do with them, but anything like Google Drive, Dropbox or whatever the microsoft one is called would all do the job. You get a certain amount of storage free but have to pay if you want more.
OP Nordie_matt 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Nordie_matt:

Cheers all for the replies.

I thought it was probably too much to ask for a truly 'secure' online storage site.

As regards why anyone would want to access my pics, there's no reason they would. I'm personally not too bothered - it's more the wife who is concerned and I was looking for a way to allieviate her concerns.

Cheers, Matt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...