UKC

What is the point of CCTV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ByEek 18 Nov 2013
With all the technology around these days, the billions of pixels, the high definition and the "smart" technology, why is it that CCTV pictures still look like this?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/opensha...
 balmybaldwin 18 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:

cost of upgrading, and cost of storage of vast amounts of footage (where 99.999% of the time nothing is happening) time to download said huge images etc.

But I agree, it's rubbish (although probably good enough if you knew him) would probably make a better image if it wasn't zoomed in so much
 Richard Baynes 18 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek: The point of CCTV is to make people feel safer. What happens in any town centre when it installs CCTV is the people who want to steal things or do bad stuff go somewhere else. It doesn't really prevent crime, it just displaces it. And as you have pointed out on the occasions it could be useful the images are usually a bit crap or have already been wiped.
Having said that the bloke who stole my car radio was caught because the cops/council geezers saw him on camera, and he got six months the next day, but it didn't stop him, and I had all the hassle of replacing radio and car. As a general rule I don't think it's the great crime preventer it's made out to be.
Oliiver 18 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek: To protect citizens from the yobs of society
 iccy 18 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:

The simplest answer is that a lot of the CCTV tech is all analogue recorded at low fps. If we install new IP CCTV now we would normally only record at 3mp max due to storage issues. It's great that a camera can record in HD, but if you want to store a months worth of data that becomes very expensive and slow.
 Mike Highbury 18 Nov 2013
In reply to iccy:
> (In reply to ByEek)
>
> The simplest answer is that a lot of the CCTV tech is all analogue recorded at low fps. If we install new IP CCTV now we would normally only record at 3mp max due to storage issues. It's great that a camera can record in HD, but if you want to store a months worth of data that becomes very expensive and slow.

Is that true? I thought that the cost of storage had fallen.

Anyway I'm a little puzzled, what becomes slow?
 elsewhere 18 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:
Move 2 meters back from the computer screen and it becomes a very clear image.

Your eyesight & monitor size may differ.
 elsewhere 18 Nov 2013
In reply to elsewhere:
They really should try increasing the pixel resolution by interpolating data to produce a less blocky image rather than expect people to move away from the monitor or take their glasses off to get the same effect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...