UKC

Snowdonia this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
siisu 19 Nov 2013
Is it worth going to Snowdonia this weekend? I know that there has/will be snow and there seems to a bit of freeze thaw going on.
Does anybody have any first hand info on how things are shaping up. Thinking particularly of Trinity faces or perhaps Parsley Fern.
Any help much appreciated
 Wesley Orvis 19 Nov 2013
In reply to siisu:

Not in Wales myself so only a guess, but doubtful imo judging off the Lakes, Crib Goch or Tryfan could be good for a bit of winter walking though.
 Rory Shaw 19 Nov 2013
In reply to siisu: There might be more snow up high tomorrow with rain lower. Looks like a nice high pressure for the weekend. Avoid gullies - stick to summer scrambles.
 smuffy 19 Nov 2013
In reply to siisu: I would say that the chances of the routes you mention being in condition are very slim but I do admire your enthusiasm......it's nearly as bold as mine. Having spent a great deal of time and a good few winters climbing in Snowdonia experience tells me to be optimistic but realistic. Conditions are so changeable and so often very different to what forecasts have predicted. Pick and choose your routes carefully, be avalanche aware and ........environmentally aware........but thats another story!
 The Potato 19 Nov 2013
In reply to siisu: I could see snowdon and glyder range on my way to work this morning and I dont think there is much depth to the 'snow' yet unfortunately. Its promising wind and heavy rain tomorrow so well see what that brings, but yeah MWIS website has webcams listed for most major mountain ranges
 JamesM 19 Nov 2013
In reply to siisu: Im going up into Cwm Glas Friday AM which is most likely where any dump may lie. Will report back with conditions as is.
 The Potato 19 Nov 2013
In reply to siisu: is anyone up for anything in that area on saturday?
 ianstevens 19 Nov 2013
In reply to siisu: Its always worth going to North Wales - the slate will be dry (as always) if it stops raining for 5 minutes.

If you mean for winter climbing, then probably not.

Probably some good winter walking conditions though.
 rusty8850 19 Nov 2013
In reply to siisu: Grib Goch entertaining today but not enough snow for gully climbing, or any other winter climbing for that matter.... winter scrambling good though. @rustybale for pics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...