UKC

Carrying skis on BA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 19 Nov 2013

Ive just been told that carrying skis on BA, even if within the overall 23kg baggage allowance, will cost £55 (booked online) if a separate skibag is used, per intra European flight.

Have I misunderstood?
OP Postmanpat 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

Anybody?
 london_huddy 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

As of last season:

You get one checked bag. That can be a ski bag.
So, if you can get everything into one bag (skis, boots kit) and it's less than 23kg, you're fine.

If, however, you want to take ski bag, boot bag and kit bag, that's three checked items so cough up.
In reply to london_huddy:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
>
> As of last season:
>
> You get one checked bag. That can be a ski bag.
> So, if you can get everything into one bag (skis, boots kit) and it's less than 23kg, you're fine.
>
> If, however, you want to take ski bag, boot bag and kit bag, that's three checked items so cough up.

Yup, but £55 per bag?

london_huddy 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

Unless your business class or first class, yep.

Additional bags at £55 a pop, same as most other airlines. I think Swiss used to allow an extra ski bag but have changed now.
In reply to london_huddy:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
>
> Unless your business class or first class, yep.
>
> Additional bags at £55 a pop, same as most other airlines. I think Swiss used to allow an extra ski bag but have changed now.

Swiss told me that they still allow an extra bag as long as the total wight is under 23kg but I'm not sure I trust them!!

Easyjet about 20£

gavster2405 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:
I flew with BA to the States in January. I had to get the extra baggage allowance to cover our ski case, but got 2 sets in for the weight allowance of 23Kg.

But I dont recall it being £55, thought it was more like £30 each way and, as I say, that was to the USA.

Gavin
 IPPurewater 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Postmanpat: Why wouldn't you trust Swiss ? They are a good, reputable airline.

It would be very bad PR for them to tell you that you can have an extra ski bag then charge you for it !
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Yup, but £55 per bag?

Yep. They're all at it now.

If you do go for the single bag approach, you can up the weight limit to 32kg for £40. Slightly cheaper than paying for 2 (if you can deal with the faff of a single bag).

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/extra-ov...

Also, the hand baggage allowance is pretty generous: one 23kg bag and one smaller 'laptop sized' bag. But I believe they're getting pretty strict on this, so make sure it fits in the size limits.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/hand-bag...
 Bob Hughes 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Postmanpat: Swiss has allowed you to check ski bags for free for quite a while now & made a big deal of it in their advertising. I've made use of it a couple of times. You can trust them.
OP Postmanpat 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Bob Hughes:
> (In reply to Postmanpat) Swiss has allowed you to check ski bags for free for quite a while now & made a big deal of it in their advertising. I've made use of it a couple of times. You can trust them.

Thanks,the problem is that their website now seems to say that the skis are only free if they are in the same bag as other luggage, although by phone they said the skis could be carried separately

OP Postmanpat 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Conwil:

Thanks, the problem is that the BA call centre, which was just reading a script they probably didn't understand, said the cost of ski carriage is £55, or £65 if done at airport, as opposed to £40 on this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...