UKC

70s winter climbing film?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DWilliamson 21 Nov 2013
I'm trying to find a short film I'm pretty sure I was linked from these forums before. I think it was a '70s BBC feature, and opened with a guy riding his motorbike up to Fort William in the winter before soloing a couple of routes on Ben Nevis and heading back home to Glasgow (?). Single axe, woolly jumper, big beard, it had it all.

Really great little film and I'd love to watch it again, but my googling doesn't turn anything up. Can anyone help with a name or link?
 BigHairyIan 21 Nov 2013
In reply to DWilliamson: Don't know so.this is just a guess: Ian McNaugt-Davis. Not sure if that's how you spell his name. He used to work with the BBC.
 Gazlynn 21 Nov 2013
In reply to DWilliamson:

John Cunningham perhaps?

youtube.com/watch?v=mXzVNFrLzk0&

cheers

Gaz
OP DWilliamson 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Gazlynn:

Looks like my memory was a little faulty on the specifics, but that's definitely the one. Thank you!
In reply to DWilliamson:
>Single axe, woolly jumper, big beard, it had it all.

It had it all, except the big beard

Cobbler 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Gazlynn:

Nice!

Apparently in no hurry to get the The Fort as he takes the Corran Ferry and round via Loch Eil!
 Escher 21 Nov 2013
In reply to DWilliamson: Enjoyed that! Like how he didn't bother with gloves on his bike and when did wearing of helmets become compulsory?
 Mick Ward 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Escher:

1970s, I seem to remember.

Mick
ice.solo 21 Nov 2013
In reply to DWilliamson:

Thats a great film. I think about it often. So many elements.

No gloves, helmet etc are cool. But the way he shrugs off that less-than-little avalanche is what sells me.
The shot of putting crampons on without gloves makes me shiver every time.
F*ckin nails.
ice.solo 21 Nov 2013
In reply to DWilliamson:

love too how far he goes before putting crampons on.
 Mick Ward 23 Nov 2013
In reply to DWilliamson:

I've just watched this - have never seen it before. Impressive stuff. Such command over his environment.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...