UKC

Beginners gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
StormerJack 22 Nov 2013
Hey people, I have done some indoor climbing and I love with it but I'm now looking to get some outdoor gear and give it a try but I'm not sure what to buy.
StormerJack 22 Nov 2013
In reply to StormerJack: I forgot to mention I'm on a budget
 mattrm 22 Nov 2013
In reply to StormerJack:

What do you have already?

Trad or sport?

Or indoors only?

What is the budget? £100? £200? or as cheap as humanly possible?
 Choss 22 Nov 2013
In reply to StormerJack:

Hi Jack.

If youve already got the "Indoor" Gear, Supplement that with a couple of slings and screwgate krabs, and that should be enough to start you toproping single Pitch outdoors.

Get Someone to teach you to set up Belays safely.

And Take it From there.

If you havent got Indoor Kit, youre gonna need:

shoes
Harness
10+mm single 50m rope
couple slings
couple screwgate krab
belay plate

To get started.

Or find Experienced partner, theyll have Kit to Lend when you go with them. Try your local wall, or on here.

Hope that helps
 Brian Pollock 22 Nov 2013
In reply to StormerJack: I've had a lot of success buying second hand gear on these forums. I would recommend it once you have an idea of what you're looking for. Best to have a look at the seller's profile before committing though to gauge if they're legit. Saying that, I have yet to have a negative experience.

I'd say get some decent longish lightweight quickdraws with full size wire gates and a decent 60m single (or triple rated if you have cash) rope to start. I wouldn't go for sport climbing specific quickdraws if you intend to do any trad or winter down the line.

I have wild country nitros. Wild Wires are also very good and make sure to go for the longer sizes.
 tlm 22 Nov 2013
In reply to StormerJack:

Who are you going to be climbing with? What kit do they already have? What type of rock do you plan to climb on? What grades?

I would be very slow about buying gear if at all possible. If you are already climbing with someone who has gear, then use theirs, while you build up experience of what to buy. You might be better off spending your money on stuff like waterproofs, rucksac, duvet jacket etc if you don't need to buy climbing kit right away.

If you lack climbing partners, then the clubs network is a good way to meet experienced climbers. Find your local clubs here:
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/map

There is a whole load of advice about buying gear here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=840
 Choss 22 Nov 2013
In reply to StormerJack:

And personal Choice of course, but consider a brain box.
In reply to Choss:
> (In reply to StormerJack)
>
> --- a brain box.

I've got one of those -- it's called a 'bell end' -- isn't that where most blokes brains are located?

jkarran 22 Nov 2013
In reply to StormerJack:

Best bet is save your money for now. Get out with some experienced climbers or a club, use their kit and see what you like. You may decide it's better to fill a gap in the rack you're using (your mate's rack) to begin with than to start an identical collection.

If you're itching for xmas present ideas then a helmet is a good idea. I'd go for a foam one offering good side and rear protection if I were buying again.

jk
 David Coley 22 Nov 2013
In reply to StormerJack:

Join a club and buy a book
StormerJack 23 Nov 2013
In reply to StormerJack:

Thanks for all the reply, I'm not sure if there are any clubs in this area but I will deffo be looking into it now
 tlm 26 Nov 2013
In reply to StormerJack:

Well, you can find out using the link that I posted...

If you lack climbing partners, then the clubs network is a good way to meet experienced climbers. Find your local clubs here:
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/map

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...