UKC

Plumber ignoring my calls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 25 Nov 2013
I have used a heating & plumibng engineer for a few years now and recently had him in as our hot water stopped heating and we had issues with our shower. Anyway, he got the hot water back on and said he had to order a spare part for the shower.

That was now nearly a month ago. Since then he has replied once to my texts and emails (his one reply had said to email him if I couldn't get a hold of him on the phone, which I have done twice now).

What would you do? This is the first time he's f**ked us about. Its strange and doesn't seem typical of him.
 Philip 25 Nov 2013
I had a similar situation. A guy quoted for solar water heating and then went quiet.

Turned out he'd had a heart attack and took months until he was back in business, and then only to finish off work he'd started and pack it all in.
 csw 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

He's probably quite busy at the mo' - If you've used him a lot in the past and he's been reliable then I'd cut him a little slack - when did you speak to him last?
In reply to Flinticus:

Maybe he's took on a big contract and doesn't have time to come and fix your shower. Granted it's a bit crap he's not let you know. I would just get someone else in.
myth 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Its part of the plumbing game. My dad (a builder) has been using the same plumber for the last 30 years, both very good friends.

However, even now the plumber will 'go dark' for a week or so of my dad contacting him,.

It's like the dating game, treat em mean keep em keen.

No point getting mad at your plumber, this behaviour is in his blood. Keep trying him and he'll turn up one day with the right part and finish the job. He's probably just busy juggling 20 clients is all.

Good luck
OP Flinticus 25 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

Tried to phone him Saturday: got an answering service so left a message and texted him.
Rigid Raider 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Tradespeople ae getting busier and will be juggling several jobs at once.
Removed User 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Go Polish.
 victorclimber 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

go round to his house first and ask him why ,and if no joy get another
nedmoran 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

It gets really busy when it gets cold. CH going on the blink and burst pipes.
Jim C 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus: easy, find out where he drinks, and drop by for a pint, you see him there you buy him a pint, and casually drop the hint that he never got round to fixing that shower.

( round here the 'Plumber' drinks in the Bowling club, the 'Heating Engineer' drinks at the golf club )

marsbar 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Mr Marsbar worked solidly all weekend, 15 hour days, just got home about 1/2 hour ago having left for work at the usual time this morning and is calling people at the moment and trying to write invoices. He is prioritising people with no heating and no hot water, unless of course people have water pouring out of a burst pipe. The weather is cold at the moment, I expect your plumber is having similar amounts of people calling up and shouting at him. If he is good, then keep emailing him. You could try to find someone else, but the chances of finding someone good that is free at this time of year aren't great.
OP Flinticus 26 Nov 2013
In reply to marsbar:

I'm willing to cut him slack, and I have so far, but even just a reply would be appreciated.
In reply to Flinticus: He's simply rude and doesn't give a stuff about your needs or his obligations. I had this once, and I simply used another guy. i never pay tradesmen until the job is done and that has resulted in a) all the work getting done and b) me getting about £120 of free work done as the guy just stopped returning my calls (he hadn't finished the work so had not been paid).

colina 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

don't know why youre wasting your time with this guy if hes not reliable.
you must be smelling bloody awful aswell if you've not had a shower for a month (unless youre wearing merino underwear)
..why not take a contract out with your local gas/electric services .ok it may cost you a little more but you've got peace and mind and hopefully a better service.
 LastBoyScout 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Fix the shower yourself?

I had a problem with our shower leaking, which progressed to not properly turning off. Various plumbing merchants quoted about £100-£130 for a replacement mixer cartridge, after contacting the shower manufacturer's helpline for advice, who told me the cartridge isn't serviceable.

Bit more research, got replacement seals off a very helpful source on eBay, took the cartridge apart and fixed it myself for about £8, I think.
 teflonpete 27 Nov 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Bit more research, got replacement seals off a very helpful source on eBay, took the cartridge apart and fixed it myself for about £8, I think.

This site isn't bad, I've used them in the past. Showers aren't rocket science.

http://www.showerdoc.com/shower-spares
 jimjimjim 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus: He wont ring you back or answer your calls now. You're jobs are too small and unimportant to him while he's busy and now it's been some time that he's not answered your calls he can't be arsed to apologise or make up an excuse. Much easier to ignore the calls until the stop.
I'm a busy self employed tradesman and I do this from time to time. Sad but true.
You could try and leave a msg saying you've just bought a block of flats that need a complete new refit...see if he bites.

buzby 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

after being faffed about several times I took out a central heating contract and pay £15 a month, its gets me a yearly service and covers most but not all things that's go wrong with it.
to be honest it was more about being able to get someone out when I really needed them and that alone makes it worth it. even if the fault is not covered the guy will usually know someone who will do it as a homer.
as above private tradesman work to supply and demand, if another job arrives that pays more than yours then you get bumped.
 csw 27 Nov 2013
In reply to buzby:

Please don't say you got that with Homeserve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...