UKC

Going solo on Sron na Lairig today (Monday)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 25 Nov 2013
Struggled with motivation to go and do something today....
Early start to beat the rising freezing level. Sore legs. Overcast. Forgot my harness. Mushy snow and wet turf low on the ridge. Was close to bailing half way up.

Sat down, had some food, had a word with myself, decided it must be better than going to work on a Monday morning, carried on.

Glad I did!! Top half of the ridge was in far better condition, good snow and pretty well frozen turf. Caught up with a pair just before the steeps and narrows at the top, some nice pics (email me for originals fellas, hope the summit of Bidian was good for you!!).
Dived off down to the col and goated my way back to the track, back to Oban in time for lunchtime tea and scones.

Temps were on the way up by the time I got back to van, the path-ice was well into melt mode after a solid and slippery walk in!!

Some photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152007680175865.1073741846.7386...

Warm and drizzly for the next few days, be interesting to see how the freeze/thaw cycles leave things at the end of the week.

Cheers,
Gordon
 Joak 25 Nov 2013
In reply to peebles boy: Hi Gordon, we met briefly last winter on SCNL. Conditions on the Sron were surprisingly good at the weekend, mostly firm snow and OK'ish turf with some neve up to Sgreamhach. Managed to use my powers of persuasion to convince my mate (he didnae appear over enthusiastic) that the Beinn Fhada ridge would be an easy well tracked dawdle back to the car. It wasn't. No sign of any previous traffic with fresh virgin powder snow all the way. Only met (or saw) three people all day. No bad for a Saturday!!
DoverPiker 26 Nov 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Gordon,

I have emailed you for the pics, thank you very much for taking them. Steve and I both had a great day. Bidian was worth the extra few minutes work!

Regards
Will
OP peebles boy 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Joak:

Yeah, I thought about heading back down the Fhada ridge, but it was far too easy to turn left at the top of the Sron and blast back to the road!!
OP peebles boy 27 Nov 2013
In reply to DoverPiker:

Will,

Photos on the way, good to hear the summit was worth the effort. Congrats on a cracking three days out, fingers crossed for your trip back up in February!!

Cheers,
Gordon
 Only a hill 27 Nov 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Nice one, it's a grand arete isn't it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...