UKC

Piriformis syndrome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sugy 25 Nov 2013
I have a recurring problem with this bum muscle going into spasm. Its been a problem for nearly 3 months on and off. It may have been the result of a fall hill walking or from back problems after an awkward hanging belay. Sitting may it really bad as did running down hill. Recently it had almost disappeared. Then disaster bouldering at the Depot. On the circuit board, big hand holds and tiny toe hold with plenty of body tension it went. Now I find that I cannot stand or walk for longer than 5 mins. Plus I cannot lay straight in bed. I did feel a couple of little tweaks in my lower spine just before hand?
One physio. thought that I should see a podiatrist as my foot was out of place. A chiropractor gave me a free look over and thought T12 was out. He also found a very sore muscle in my abdomen coming off from this and opposing to the piriformis. Anyone any experiences to share here?
 Mark Morris 25 Nov 2013
In reply to sugy: Thought I had this for years, one physio used to nearly have me screaming trying to release it. It turns out a herniated disk L5/s1 will also cause the same symptoms.

Your symptoms seem to have worsened after your slip at the bouldering. I'd get to physio/doctor quick to check movement and feeling in legs.

Best solution, get a scan - know whats going on. If numbness between legs, toilet problems, get to casualty. Good luck.

Banned User 77 25 Nov 2013
In reply to sugy:

Its often not just the piriformis.. I had the symptoms but it was a whole complex suite of issues, the physio couldnt say which went fist..

Glutes, piriformis, psoas, hip flexors.. you really need to see an osteopath/chiropracter/physio and work with them for a bit as it does sound like you have alignment issues which could be connected to muscle imbalances, tightness..

I did a programme of strength and stretching work, trying to engage the muscles and am slowly getting over it.

OP sugy 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Mark Morris:

No numbness between legs and a little pain in the butt if I hurry my wee. Fine sitting on the loo. I think the piliformis thing is a response to something else perhaps in the spine. Will check out another physio on Thursday and a doctor if no improvement Many thanks Andrew
In reply to sugy:

Have you tried doing this - youtube.com/watch?v=17Tn7wWvr7U& ?
 lost1977 25 Nov 2013
In reply to sugy:

If I can find a good video I will post but a great release technique I was shown years back sorts out my periformis problems really quickly (unfortunately its quite hard to explain).
OP sugy 26 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I like the look of this. Going to order one now. Many thanks
OP sugy 26 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977:

Sat here in bed at 4am waiting for next round of painkillers to kick in. Hope you find a video for me.
 pork pie girl 26 Nov 2013
In reply to sugy: i would suggest a chiropractor to look at alignment, i get subluxation on in my lower back, tight hip flexor on the same side and tight bum cheak on the same side, tight SI joint on the opposite side. Also see a good physio to look at strengthening and stretching

but the best thing i've done to prevent having to go back to either the physio or the chiro is to do core stability exercises about three times a week (often more.. at my worse in terms on misalignment i was doing core every day .. soemtimes twice a day but very easy stuff until i built up to harder exercises.. my abs have always been very strong.. lower back not that strong, but much better now)

the orher thing i do is intebse self massage, i used a hard ball (like a tennis ball or even sometimes a cricket ball) in my buttock, pain ful but it doesn't have release the tension, i do this before i stretch... and it's cheaper than going to a physio for tjem to push my bum cheak with their elbow and then chrage tou 30 quid for it

insoles is also an important factor, crucial i'd say, it has helped with pretty much all my symptoms

the fourth thing (think it's the fourth preventative thing anyway ) ... i think climbing really helps with core stability, maybe bakc off on intense bouldering sessions until things really settle down but do more route climbing... i think it's brilliant for core strength, stretching etc.

pork pie girl 26 Nov 2013
In reply to sugy:

PS there's loads of self massage and strecthing exercises for the piriformis online.. look on youtube for starters
OP sugy 26 Nov 2013
In reply to pork pie girl:

Excellent response. I really appreciate that.
OP sugy 27 Nov 2013
In reply to sugy:

I think for the mo. I will ice and rest it. Still cannot stand after a couple of minutes but feels a tiny bit better. Missing climbing. Actually missing work too.Fed up of Flog it and day time TV
 Noelle 27 Nov 2013
In reply to sugy:

I'm adding to the voices that say "get it checked out".

Thought I had a weird muscle tear in my back. Then the pain it moved to my sternum. Then I got really bad pain in my glutes. Turned out to be Ankylosing Spondylitis in the end.

Chiropractor, osteopath and physio didn't spot it. The MRI did in the end.

Your doctor is really the best person to see, especially if it's affecting your work and getting around.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...