UKC

Rooting an Android device....help please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 26 Nov 2013
I have only ever rooted one android device and it did not exactly go to plan, so I would appreciate any helpful advice or tips.

I am also scouring theA forums as well, but there is a shed load of conflicting information.

Long story short, my Android device has a new firmware update. And before I do the firmware update, I would like to make a fully working copy of my Android operating system/ROM.

This way if the updated firmware causes any problems then I can go back to the old ROM.

Thanks muchly
 Route Adjuster 26 Nov 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Consider that as soon as you root it you void any warranty. Is this an Over The Air (OTA) update, if so it will work, have confidence. If they screw this up then you have a claim - if you screw it up then you don't.
OP The Lemming 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Route Adjuster:

Yes its an over the air update.

You seriously expect me to believe that OTA updates work out of the box?

I'm sure that one or two people around the world using microsoft, apple and iOS would disagree with that statement.

I've even been stung with OTA updates for my Android Tablet. I have learnt my lesson, and want to make backups before jumping.

KevinD 26 Nov 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

> You seriously expect me to believe that OTA updates work out of the box?

For a Nexus? Be surprised if it didnt.
My old Nexus 7 updated without a blink today.
Suspect the same would be true for my Nexus 4 but thats now retired and on its way to its new home.

In reply to dissonance:

Maybe The Lemming means 'does not work how I like it'. Which is a very common problem with system upgrades from the likes of Apple, etc. And usually difficult to revert to a previous version, since it have been expunged from official sources...
OP The Lemming 27 Nov 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:

> And usually difficult to revert to a previous version, since it have been expunged from official sources...

I have always been told to back everything up before doing any updates. This advice has been quoted for decades. I just want to back stuff up otherwise if I do the firmware update, there is no going back.

XDA devepoler forums is awash with people not too happy with the update. So my desire to learn how to ROOT my phone is, in my mind, sensible.

The problem is that I have spent 24 hours straight trying to followA Tutorials to ROOT my phone. All that I have achieved is wiping my phone back to factory settings unexpectedly.

And I am still no nearer to my objective.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...