UKC

Car audio help: 55 Passat Estate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sweenyt 27 Nov 2013
Hi All,

I've recently found (in a super secret hidden part of my glovebox) that I have some sort of multimedia hub (I can plug in USB, SD card, Audio line etc). Now from my very limited knowledge I think it is an aftermarket addition by a previous owner.

How do I make it work?

I can provide photos and I'm happy to try things out, but I can't seem to find an aux/ext. setting on the radio/cd machine (bog standard VW).

If anyone has any suggestions then please let me know,

ATB

H
Ferret 27 Nov 2013
In reply to sweenyt:

No idea really but one guess might be to try plugging something into it that you know is going to push out a signal of some sort (MP3 in play mode perhaps) and try using the channel search on the radio.... My dad used to have an after market CD multi-changer in boot of car that you 'tuned' the radio in to capture the signal. The CD was controlled via a simple LCD screen and remote and effectively you just set it playing and it pumped out an analogue signal that the radio could tune into. Worth a try....
 alexcollins123 27 Nov 2013
In reply to sweenyt:

It might be set up as a CD multichanger? Not sure what this means for the passat, but my mates skoda, you just set it to CD multichanger (disc 2) and then insert your media and play
 rj_townsend 27 Nov 2013
In reply to sweenyt:

If the radio head in the dashboard has a "media" button, press that and it should change the input to whatever is plugged-in in the glovebox. Tuning button should flick between songs/albums etc.
craggyjim 27 Nov 2013
In reply to sweenyt:

Do you open it by pulling down on a tab when the glovebox is open. If so it's the standard media interface. Mine is accessed through the stereo "Media" button but I have a 2013 car. It came with an Ipod adapter cable and a USB adapter cable. The SD card into the stereo fascia on the dashboard.
OP sweenyt 27 Nov 2013
In reply to craggyjim:

I do get to it that way yes, didn;t know it was standard. Thanks to all for help so far, I'll have a play later on the way home and see what occurs.

Ta,
H
 RagingSphere 27 Nov 2013
In reply to sweenyt:

I'm wracking my memory but on a 55 plate I don't think it would have been standard, VW were only doing iPod adapters and CD changers in that age of car. We only got the fancy stuff like SD cards about 4 years ago.

Assuming it is the standard radio unit (RCD300 I think, check in the manual and you should have a book that tells you which unit it is) all you should need to do to access it is press the CD button twice, this then activates the auxiliary input which in that age of Passat would have probably been a 6CD changer mounted where your fancy thingamajig is.

Mark
VW salesman for almost a decade
OP sweenyt 28 Nov 2013
In reply to monkeymark:

Ah, from looking at the book that makes sense. There is the suggestion of a CD changer (which I dont have), but I'm planning on playing a song I know on repeat until I find the right setting for it.

Thanks
H

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...