UKC

Spain and Gibraltar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 27 Nov 2013
Deliberately prolonging queuing times at the border crossing.
Territorial water infringements
Opening diplomatic bags

Is Spain trying to provoke the UK into doing something which they can use as an excuse to go even further, potentially even invade?

Would this "patriotic" act be an attractive distraction from Spain's current economic woes (as was the case when Argentina invaded the Falklands).

The EU don't seem particularly keen on helping (funny that) which may only serve to encourage Spain.

Despite what some may feel as a UK superiority in military capabilities, once lost I would imagine it would be near impossible to retake Gib. Is our current military presence in Gib sufficient to deter any attempt by Spain to occupy it (from what I have read, quite possibly not)?

How should the UK act now and when faced with any escalation by the Spanish?
 Chris Harris 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Invading Ceuta and Melilla might be a start.
 Chris the Tall 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Can't see Spain invading, looks to me that they are just posturing as a means of distraction

Also, I wasn't aware that Spain still held territory on the other side of the straits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceuta . Just a bit hypocritical ?
 Al Evans 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

What I do know is that Gibraltar got EUFA international status a few weeks ago, and having drawn 0-0 against Slovakia, or was it Slovenia, are now the only international team in EUFA to be unbeaten. BTW they have to play their home games in Portugal as their ground does not come up to EUFA stanards.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...