UKC

'Has' or 'have'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 02 Dec 2013
Having an absolute blank, my sentence is;

My University studies HAS given me many of the crucial skills required for this role.

or

My University studies HAVE given me many of the crucial skills required for this role.

I'm leaning towards have but I can't convince myself either way...please help
 wynaptomos 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:

studies is a plural so definitely 'have'
 BigBrother 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:
Shouldn't it be 'haven't'?
johnj 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:

or

My University studies gave me many of the crucial skills required for this role.
 rallymania 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:

my studies have given

the subject i studied has given

is what i'd have thought... however i can't spell very well so i might not be the right person to answer
 David Alcock 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja: Have. 'Studies' is the plural subject.
 drolex 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:

If you are a cat or if you have studied at a feline university, you should use 'haz'
In reply to BigBrother:

> Shouldn't it be 'haven't'?

I Like!
 RomTheBear 02 Dec 2013
In reply to BigBrother:

Like !
In reply to phja:

Remove the word "university" to get your answer.

ALC
OP phja 02 Dec 2013
In reply to wynaptomos:

Thanks everyone...'have' it is
 nniff 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:

Too many words, too wishy-washy:

No giving about it - you worked hard for them (or maybe not...). Crucial is a big word - does your experience match it? Perhaps this instead, with a sense of ownerhip of your studies:

'I developed the most important skills for this role at my University'
 Fraser 02 Dec 2013
In reply to nniff:

'I developed the most important skills for this role at University'

Brass Nipples 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:

Through UKC I developed the required sentences to apply for this role.
 splat2million 02 Dec 2013
In reply to nniff:

Agreed. Although with 'have' it is grammatically correct the sentence doesn't flow well.

Also agree that you should remove the word crucial - the way you have it phrased implies that you lack certain crucial skills (as your study has only given you 'many' of them).

I'm sure it goes without saying that you follow the sentence with specific examples of the skills listed on the job person specification and how you have demonstrated them - however well you phrase the statement, it means nothing unless you back it up with evidence. And since it's university experience rather than professional experience you'll probably have to work harder to make it look impressive.
 frqnt 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Beat me to it!:
Classic!

OP; not that you asked, but why not employ something more sophisticated?
Courses completed at University have prepared me for...
Success in the academic field puts me in good stead...
^^ those could be refined, still.

Difficult to advise w/out more information and not wanting to discourage you but your initial syntax doesn't have much impact.

Good luck
In reply to phja:

After reading this thread I'm in a state of shock, really. Unbelievable.
 Enty 02 Dec 2013
In reply to BigBrother:

Double like.

E
 frqnt 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
Couple this with the survey thread and I'm surprised by what Universities are producing. Unless, of course, you're condemning my suggestions??
Removed User 02 Dec 2013
In reply to johnj:

> or

> My University studies gave me many of the crucial skills required for this role.

No, this has a different meaning.
johnj 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Removed User:

if you say so
Removed User 02 Dec 2013
In reply to johnj:

I do.

One is in the past (yours) and one is the past perfect (the op's)
johnj 02 Dec 2013

there you go then, what does past perfect mean?
 Sean Kelly 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:

Skills are not 'given' but acquired or learned.
Removed User 02 Dec 2013
In reply to johnj:

Sorry, I meant "present perfect" of course.
Removed User 02 Dec 2013
In reply to johnj:

> there you go then, what does past perfect mean?

Geeeze, your testing me now.

So the present perfect is something that happened in the past but still applies now.
johnj 02 Dec 2013

It's ok, I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong and I really none the wiser about how far the tense goes back if that's why they're different?
 Yanis Nayu 02 Dec 2013
In reply to johnj:

http://vk.com/feed?section=comments&z=photo-43853415_317044926%2Fwall61...

I'll be honest - until I started learning Russian I thought there was only 3 tenses in English, not 12! (Plus footballer's tense of course)
 ericinbristol 02 Dec 2013
In reply to BigBrother:

Love it
johnj 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

That would explain it then :+) you may as well have been speaking Russian for as much as I have a grasp on tense it seems.
In reply to phja:

> My University studies HAS given me many of the crucial skills required for this role

My studies at University have given me the skills which are crucial for this role.
In reply to BigBrother:

Ha ha ha ha ha!
 Nutkey 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:

Have. Though if I had a pound for every CV I've received where the applicant thought that because they'd studied something at uni they knew how to do it….
In reply to stroppygob:

At the risk of getting dragged in...

> My studies at University have given me the skills which are crucial for this role.

that instead of which I think.
Donnie 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:
university doesn't get a capital letter and it's have but the term 'university studies' is horrible anyway. unless you did something fairly vocational it probably didn't give you the crucial skills etc.

sorry
 Bulls Crack 02 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:

My university surely - unless My University's....?
In reply to crossdressingrodney:

> At the risk of getting dragged in...

Too late

> that instead of which I think.

Agreed.

> At the risk of getting dragged in...

> that instead of which I think.

In British (Oxford) English that or which are equally correct because it's a restrictive (or defining) relative clause; in American English 'that' is preferred.
 teflonpete 03 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:

I went uni and now I is clever, innit.
OP phja 03 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:
Wow! I'm amazed how many people slate university education given half the chance! I did a Physics degree so surely it would be my secondary school's fault that I didn't know whether to use have or has? The job is also academic so I'm pretty sure my uni skills are relevant!

Thank you to those who helped me with my question and offered suggestions.
Post edited at 09:16
 Tall Clare 03 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:

Pssst - it's 'academic'

MG 03 Dec 2013
In reply to phja:
> Wow! I'm amazed how many people slate university education given half the chance! I did a Physics degree so surely it would be my secondary school's fault that I didn't know whether to use have or has? The job is also achedemic so I'm pretty sure my uni skills are relevant!

There is a lot of snobbery about this sort of thing and I am sure a lot of those criticising would have no idea about the implications of basic relationships in physics, such as say, F=ma. However, you will be judged on basic English whatever job you do so if were really struggling with this and presumably similar questions, it will be worth your while working a bit on your English.
Post edited at 09:13
johnj 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I though that was comedy gold:+)

Is that so? I've always read a very important different between "I collected the samples that were on the table" and "I collected the samples, which were on the table". They're expressing completely distinct meanings, which I think is very valuable.

> Is that so? I've always read a very important different between "I collected the samples that were on the table" and "I collected the samples, which were on the table". They're expressing completely distinct meanings, which I think is very valuable.

You are correct with the examples you give. The first is restrictive and the second non-restrictive. The comma (with the use of which) is essential there. The rule isn't too difficult. Will post links in a second.

Pretty succinctly summed up here:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/that-or-which

More detailed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_relative_clauses

I haven't anything to add to this.

OK, I see. So it's all about the comma. Using "which" in both cases is a bit ambiguous in speech though, isn't it? After all, you can't always hear commas. "Collect the samples which are on the table" and "Collect the samples, which are on the table" sound the same to me!
 Franco Cookson 05 Dec 2013

pause and intonation difference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...