UKC

Simon Hughes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
>http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/02/jonathan-trott-simon-hughes-as...

Breathtaking. I didn't realise there were still such ignorant people about, or at least not working in public life.

In any sensible society Hughes would be sacked forthwith, but naturally I expect to see him continue in employment with the Daily Telegraph, scum as they are.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

DT is scum, but BBC is ok?
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Better, certainly. But I expect to see him continue in employment with them as well.

jcm

Stepping away from Simon Hughes for a second and looking at the Twitter phenomenom. Its such a minefield of pitfalls I wonder why anyone bothers with it. Almost daily we see famous people get themselves in trouble letting their vacuous narcissistic egos control their postings to their "followers"

I see Katie Hopkins has a million Scots baying for blood, James Arther apologies for a homophobic tweet on live TV on saturday. Seriously, just step away from the smartphone....no one gives a sh1t what you think, and chances are many will be offended.

Well, yeah, but on the other hand I've never heard of James Arther, whoever he is, and now I have, which is presumably good for brand recognition.

SH on the other hand is a well-respected journalist if you're interested in cricket, and presumably unless you mistake him for the MP no-one is going to follow him who isn't.

Seriously, though, it's astonishing to put into the public domain that you think Trott is making up his depressive illness because he’s too scared to face Mitchell Johnson, unless you actually have any evidence to think that might be true. I wasn’t exaggerating calling it breathtaking; I literally gasped when I heard it. I can’t think of the last time I heard something so crass said by a previously respectable public figure.

jcm
 toad 03 Dec 2013

Whereas I'd heard of James Arther, but assumed you were talking about the MP 'till just now.

But celeb twitter reaction to public events is asking for trouble. The ridiculous character limit might be great for soundbites, but is otherwise really dangerous for acarefully managed "brand". I'm sure there are a very few people who post carefully nuanced bon mots, but most people can't express themselves properly in a paragraph, never mind 140 characters
 Dave Garnett 03 Dec 2013
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously)
>
> Stepping away from Simon Hughes for a second and looking at the Twitter phenomenom. Its such a minefield of pitfalls I wonder why anyone bothers with it. Almost daily we see famous people get themselves in trouble letting their vacuous narcissistic egos control their postings to their "followers"
>

Quite right. Thank god UKC isn't like that.
JMGLondon 03 Dec 2013

I saw that Tweet last night before it was removed - assumed he'd been hacked or was on the booze. FWIW, I don't think he should be sacked but I would like to hear him attempt to justify his comments on 5Live.

In reply to toad:

>most people can't express themselves properly in a paragraph, never mind 140 characters

No, obviously. But SH's problem hasn't been failing to express himself properly. On the contrary he's expressed himself extremely clearly and in so doing revealed himself as an obnoxious moron.

jcm
 Offwidth 03 Dec 2013

Thanks for posting this John, I'd missed it. Fully agree with you.
 ben b 04 Dec 2013

It did smell a little "I know something you don't know", which if nothing else shows that fools tend to hang out with other fools... the "I've talked to lots of people" line is trying to spread the blame or back up his untenable position.

It is very disappointing to hear such idiocy from someone who otherwise has proven to be a pretty adept analyst over the years. Perhaps best he stick to cricket analysis rather than psychoanalysis.

Meanwhile happier news here in sunny Dunedin: Ross Taylor hit 217 n.o against a (none too spectacular) Windies line up who appear to need a Mitchell Johnson sprayer...

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...