UKC

Rock climbing and mood stabilizers...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Mcshea 04 Dec 2013
Hi,
Anyone had any experience of climbing whilst medicating with mood stabilizers? I'm interested in any experiences you may have had or have known about. My question is generic, however my current poison is a drug by the name of Lamotrigine if that is of any relevance. I have only managed to tie in a few times in the last 18 months or so, and struggled when I have done, could that be the drugs?

Thanks,

John.
 csw 04 Dec 2013
In reply to John Mcshea:

I've climbed on antidepressants although I can't remember the name - they were one of the SSRI family. The only difference I found was the usual exhilaration after a route was missing, which is a large part of why I stopped taking them, but I didn't notice any difficulties with the actual climbing.
 RomTheBear 05 Dec 2013
In reply to John Mcshea:

> Hi,

> Anyone had any experience of climbing whilst medicating with mood stabilizers? I'm interested in any experiences you may have had or have known about. My question is generic, however my current poison is a drug by the name of Lamotrigine if that is of any relevance. I have only managed to tie in a few times in the last 18 months or so, and struggled when I have done, could that be the drugs?

> Thanks,

> John.

Not sure about that specific drug but had similar stuff in the past and without doubt the effect on the brain is fairly astonishing. I noticed that I was a lot more distracted/forgetting stuff whilst on them so it could be something to watch.
 Puppythedog 05 Dec 2013
In reply to John Mcshea:

I complete;y understand you asking here an this is not a 'you should not ask here but talk to a medical professional post' but my advice would be to organise to spend some time with a pharmacist. The ones in your private pharmacies like boots are contracted to provide time and advice and they know more about medicines than Doctors, or nurses or anyone else. Take the time to explain what you need from yourself when climbing and make a note of anything you notice since starting the Lamotragine. I can't think of a reason why you couldn't climb on Lamotragine but anecdotal reports from many mood stabiliser users describe cotton wool in their heads.
 alasdair19 05 Dec 2013
In reply to John Mcshea:

Quite a few years ago i was prescribed. Venaflaxine. I think.
Also was prescribed a beta blocker but not for very long.

The beta blocker was immediately effective I can easily see how musicians get addicted.

Sssri are strong weird drugs. The side effects are very variable. they can take a while to be effective.
 alasdair19 05 Dec 2013
In reply to John Mcshea:

Climbing hard.for.you is pretty demanding psychologically. So climb.easy and enjoy with people.you like, trust and feel.safe. if the drugs aren't working ask to change. I started forgetting to take mine while climbing in yosemite so there,s another option for you!
 Choss 05 Dec 2013
In reply to John Mcshea:

Been on high dose SSRIs for 19 years. Biggest Issue Climbing wise is motivation for me, but have Heard Others say about the wooly HeadedNess.
 Puppythedog 05 Dec 2013
In reply to John Mcshea:

An important point for everyone is that Lamotragine is not an SSRI, it is not an anti-depressant and it's effects are different.
 Puppythedog 05 Dec 2013
In reply to John Mcshea:

Oh and definitely don't stop suddenly and go rock climbing.
 jazzyjackson 05 Dec 2013
In reply to John Mcshea:

I wouldn't be surprised if it impacting on your levels of enthusiasm for climbing.
Looking at the complexity of its action we can't even quantify its exact effect from person to person.

Seems it's classed an anticonvulsant but it's actions certainly overlap slightly into some of the same neurochemical areas as the SSRI's.

from wiki: "Lamotrigine is a member of the sodium channel blocking class of antiepileptic drugs. It is a triazine derivate that inhibits voltage-sensitive sodium channels, leading to stabilization of neuronal membranes"

It will be decades before we fully understand the full actions of these prescribed mood stabilisers yet they are heavily prescribed due to big pharma's aggressive drive.

OP John Mcshea 05 Dec 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

> I completely understand you asking here an this is not a 'you should not ask here but talk to a medical professional post'

Thanks for that acknowledgement, To get this far has involved many and varied professionals but of course none of them climb.....

You are also correct about mood stabilisers being unrelated to SSRI's. I prescribed SSRI's initially by the GP. I went completely loopy on them. A proper diagnosis from an appropriate professional showed me that The SSRI's should not be taken by someone with my diagnosis and took me off them immediately and prescribed the mood stabilisers. They have helped me enormously. But where climbing is concerned...... in fact I have not been out running or cycling either.

I like a good trad experience I grew up with it on and off and have always snatched the sharp end when I could. This years tie ins few as they are, saw me, frankly freaked and resting seconding routes that have always been well within my abilities.

Perhaps that's just the way of it now?

Puppythedog 05 Dec 2013
In reply to John Mcshea:

Tell you what John, have a think an maybe drop me a line and we could meet up for a climb some time if you fancy.
Regarding Lamotragine, once passed the getting used to how feels stage plenty of people on stable doses drive. DVLA recommendation is stable post an episode and stable on a med for (I think) 3 months. If you want a bit more of a chat about it drop me a line through the forum e-mail thingy.
My thoughts, not from personal experience of taking lamotragine, but from experience of these sorts of things through work is that you will be fine if your dose is stable and so is you mood and possible side effects.
I really hope that helps, no reason not to climb I would think, feel free to drop me a line.

James
 Puppythedog 05 Dec 2013
In reply to jazzyjackson:

and due to the positive experiences of many people taking the sodium channel blocking drugs as mood stabilisers such as sodium valporate, vlaporate semi sodium and lamotragine.
 jazzyjackson 06 Dec 2013
In reply to John Mcshea:

> (In reply to puppythedog)
>
> [...]
>
This years tie ins few as they are, saw me, frankly freaked and resting seconding routes that have always been well within my abilities.
>
> Perhaps that's just the way of it now?

Have u tried going back to some indoor for a while to see if you can rebuild confidence?
Post edited at 09:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...