UKC

does a selected guide for easy Scottish classics exist?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 05 Dec 2013
Can anyone recommend a guide book for easy classic winter climbs in Scotland - I saw there was a Cicerone one for Scottish ridges but I wasn¡¦t sure if this was mainly summer stuff. Also is there a winter guidebook for the NW highlands? Sounds a bit of a schoolboy question but I can¡¦t seem to find one (in print anyway).
Thanks
Tom
In reply to ebdon:

There's the SMC Scottish Winter Climbs which is a "best of" for the whole of Scotland but it's across all grades not just lower ones.

Guide to NW Highlands? It's called "Northern Highlands" and is in three volumes: South; Central & North.

ALC
OP ebdon 05 Dec 2013
In reply to ebdon:

Cheers - I feel like I bit of a twit now, dont know how i missed those, for some reason the thing I was looking at for the NW highlands said the book was out of print, I shall have to review my googeling skills
 jonnie3430 05 Dec 2013
In reply to ebdon:

This is good for recommending easy winter routes in NW (don't tell anyone else though.) http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3258
Post edited at 13:33
In reply to ebdon:

Not exactly what your looking for but if you are looking for some inspiration you could try Cold Climbs?
 L.A. 05 Dec 2013
drmarten 05 Dec 2013
In reply to ebdon:

Ken Crocket and Steve Ashton's '100 Classic Climbs : Scotland : Central and Southern Highlands' contains several easyish classics among the 100 routes featured (summer & winter), I'd recommend it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1852230258/highadventuar-21
It looks like you can pick it up for less than the price of a pint at the moment - a bargain.
 L.A. 05 Dec 2013
In reply to drmarten:
Thanks for that Just bought one for £2-80 inc postage )
OP ebdon 05 Dec 2013
In reply to ebdon:
Cheers - I¡¦d forgotten about that summit/UKC article, I know the 'honey pot areas' pretty well but my partner has expressed an interest in going up to Scotland this new year and I thought it would be a good opportunity to explore somewhere different and the NW has always looked pretty amazing if the conditions are good, I can just never manage getting north of Glen Coe these days!
Removed User 05 Dec 2013
In reply to ebdon:

The real problem with the Far North West is that the conditions can be very hit and miss and its a long way to go.

I'm thinking north of Torridon and up into areas like Foinaven or Quinag or even Ben Hope (which has had some glorious ice on it in years past).
OP ebdon 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Yeah i know - which is why i've never gone but i guess sometimes youve got to take the gamble otherwise you'd never get anything done, I'll be with the GF anyway so we can also go walking as i'm sure things like Liathach and Ben Alligin would be still be lots of fun in summer conditions.
Removed User 05 Dec 2013
In reply to ebdon:

Go for it. You won't be disappointed.
In reply to ebdon: The Cicerone book Scotland's Mountain Ridges includes both winter and summer. It's just ridges though, obviously.

IanMcC 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Who's that by?
 Euge 06 Dec 2013
In reply to IanMcC:

> Who's that by?

hahahaha... Fantastic
In reply to IanMcC:
It's by some joker or other
Post edited at 12:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...