UKC

Most reliable Scottish gullies after a big thaw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Shaunmash 05 Dec 2013

I got thinking last night, it would be good to have some suggestions of the most reliable gullies to still be complete after a big thaw. Probably in the lower grades, either easily accessible or as remote as you like.

I'll start.

Numbers 2, 3, 4 and 5, Ben Nevis

Central Gully Ben Lui

Great Gully Braeriach

Any more suggestions?

Thanks
 DaveHK 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

Anything on Braeriach
 andyinglis 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

Black spout gully lochnagar, still climbable in June this year, scratch that, always climbable.
 Only a hill 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

Broad Gully, Stob Coire nan Lochan
The NE face of Bidean nam Bian (not a gully, but very reliable and a pleasant route open to much variation at I or II).
 dutybooty 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

I've always found Alladins Couloir to be quite reliable.
 Webster 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

I guess your assuming buildup to have occurred prior to the said thaw? as right now I dobt there are any climable gullies worthwhile in Scotland...
 Scomuir 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Webster:

> I guess your assuming buildup to have occurred prior to the said thaw? as right now I dobt there are any climable gullies worthwhile in Scotland...

Given that some of the OP's suggestions above are grade I's, then there definitely will be, as Dave Kerr says above, Braeriach.

JamesRoddie 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Webster:

There was a really quite large amount of snow in the East facing corries on Braeriach and Ben Macdui even before all the new snow that has fallen in the last 24 hours.
 DaveHK 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Webster:
> I guess your assuming buildup to have occurred prior to the said thaw? as right now I dobt there are any climable gullies worthwhile in Scotland...

I said Braeriach because I know for a fact there were climbable gullies there last weekend.
Post edited at 15:24
seaofdreams 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

It's worth pointing out that a sudden upward change in temperature is an avalanche warning and tends to make the snow pack less stable.

This maybe important and it may not be depending on how you define "after" and "big thaw" but it should always be in your mind and is another bit of info for your day on the hill.

Have fun
 Nick_Scots 06 Dec 2013
Central gully on Ben Lui has seen many incidents after a thaw.
Shaunmash 06 Dec 2013
In reply to seaofdreams:

Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant after a big thaw and then a refreeze.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, can anybody suggest any others?
 Camm 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:
I did Gardyloo Gulley after a huge thaw then a big ish freeze, it's susposed to be grade II, But be warned in some conditions, it can be steep, I've done easier IVs, I've heard people grade it V before in some conditions (no protection and steep).
 Michael Gordon 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

It of course all depends on how much build-up there is beforehand and just how catastrophic the thaw is. The big thick ice lines on the Ben and Meagaidh for example tend to be pretty resilient once well established. Things like the Vent in the Norries can be great late season.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...