UKC

New Body or Better Lenses?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kyle Warlow 05 Dec 2013
Evening all,

I am debating upgrading my DSLR (currently using a 20D, looking at the 7D), but someone suggested to me I could be better off investing in some quality lenses first, such as Canon's L series, then getting a new body afterwards. Would anyone else suggest this?

Cheers,

K
In reply to Kyle Warlow:

What lenses do you have already, and what are the main reasons for your desire to upgrade?
 ChrisJD 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Kyle Warlow:
First reaction would be 7D first.

Also look at 70D - probably better £/feature/performance wise than 7D (well that's the choice I made, so I would say that)
Post edited at 16:50
 badwabbit 05 Dec 2013

> What lenses do you have already, and what are the main reasons for your desire to upgrade?

Yes, you need to answer this before we can give advice. I have a 7D and love it (although it takes quite heavy PP to get the best out of it) - it's a long way on in tech terms than a 20D, but what glass do you currently have, and what are your shooting requirements..?
Post edited at 17:11
OP Kyle Warlow 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Kyle Warlow:

Currently using a Canon EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 (this mainly)
... and a Tamron AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3.

I find the 20D really struggles with long exposure noise and when you up the ISO even slightly the quality drops significantly. Plus, its getting on a bit. I really want to start taking some decent night/star shots. I know a better lens with a bigger aperture would help, but a newer body would be nice too.
 Skyfall 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Kyle Warlow:

Think you answered your own question really as all those issues are the body, not the lens. The EFS 17-85 should be ok too.

People tend to say go for quality "glass" first ie. lenses, but it does sound as though your body needs upgrading (the 20D was v good in its time but way off the pace now).
 Dan Arkle 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

+ 1 from me
In reply to Skyfall:

Yeah, I figured as much. When somebody suggested otherwise it threw me a bit, and since there s lots of bread involved I just wanted confirmation.

Cheers guys.
3414peterk 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Kyle Warlow:

I had the same problems at the start of the year. In the end I got a used 5d mk2 and the 24-105f4L lens. It was a heap of money for sure, but results are worth every penny! You'd never look back!
In reply to 3414peterk:
I think the 5d is just a bit out of my price range unfortunately, even second-hand. Think it's gona be a toss up between the 7d and 70d for now. Decisions to make...
Post edited at 23:05
 JanBella 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Kyle Warlow:

better lens obviously. it is light that counts not pixels. if less light reaches the sensor you are loosing on the quality. if buying new camera with a lens try to spend 1/3 for the body and 2/3 for the lens.
 badwabbit 05 Dec 2013
If I was you, I would get a better body, primarily for better handling, better higher ISO performance, and increased ability to use flashes etc.

I would also be looking to upgrade the 17-85 as soon as possible afterwards as it is not a very good performing lens - the 17-55 2.8 or 15-85 are *much* better, but neither is' particularly cheap. And pick up a 50 1.8 for fun too - too cheap not to, and you can have amazing fun with shallow DOF and low light imagery with one...
In reply to badwabbit:

> If I was you, I would get a better body, primarily for better handling, better higher ISO performance

This.
A new body has to be my priority for the moment, I am now sure. The lens can follow shortly afterwards (hopefully).

ChrisJD 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Kyle Warlow:
I've gone from a full frame 1DsII to a 70D and I'm amazed how great the transistion has been.

Not yet missed the full frame experience (the 70D viewfinder is big) with my lenses and the gains in ISO, live view, rear screen size, image quality, auto-ISO, menus, auto focus sytems, video have just been great. Havent moved the dial off M yet with auto ISO. and the build quilaty on the 70D is fine (and its pretty small (well compared with the Ids), so no need for a second camera!). Its got me taking picures again.

I traded my 1DsII in with Warehouse Express and got the money against an Open-Box 70D return - really pleased with the deal and it removed any concerns about selling on the camera direct (the iDsII had had a 'good' life)
Post edited at 09:27
OP Kyle Warlow 06 Dec 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thank's for the info. 70d is definitely tempting me.

K
 ChrisJD 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Kyle Warlow:

Google '7d versus 70D'. Lots been written about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...