UKC

Winter climbing around Beitostolen, Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OldProfile 05 Dec 2013
Me and some friends are off to Beitostolen in Norway in the new year thanks to a mega cheap deal on Crystal Ski. The slopes don't look amazing but we were thinking of taking axes and doing some climbing, if there is any nearby.

I've seen on the DB that there's some icefalls not far down the road, does anyone know how easy it is to get around in that part of the world or hire a car for a day or two?

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.
Joby
 IPPurewater 05 Dec 2013
In reply to atbboy:

I went there a few years ago. There is good cross country skiing.

It is quite a small resort. I can't recall a car hire location, but I expect you could arrange one at the airport or some of the hotels. The road to the North was completely closed a couple of km out of the resort.

Sorry but I don't know anything about the climbing.

One thing to bear in mind is you'll only have about six hours of daylight.
In reply to atbboy:

Hi,

I lived in Beitostølen for the last 2.5 years and now only 45mins away. There is iceclimbing and mix climbing in the area, but your going to need a car. Some 20mins from Beitostølen is Kalvedalen, while the main events are very steep pillars there are also some less intimidating ice falls. Down by Fagernes is the classic Hyllebekken, a 3/3+ 2/3 rope lengths icefall. The first two pitches are relatively easy while the top steepens up. Easy access and if you take the lower fall then you can have extra rope lengths with a walk in between. If you have a car around Bagn there are a few good routes in the 2 to 4 range and Stavadalen is worth a look. Stavadalen has some really nice routes mainly WI4 up. About 1.5 hours from Beitostølen is Hemsedal which is home to many good quality routes in all grades, sizes and seriousness

Mix climbing can be found on Bitihorn, but you will need to ski in and the south face is prone to avalanches due to a large terrace cutting the face.

More info can be found:

http://www.isklatring.no/valdres/

The alpine centre called Raudalen (same ski pass as Beitostølen, about 5 mins away) is worth a half day skiing, nice steeper runs through treelined slopes and some nice off piste (although whipy birches trees can really make your day!). The chairlift here is ultra slow and on cold days by the time you get to the top you really feel the pain (or don't).
 CacCarnBeag 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:

I've never been to Beitostølen, but I've skiied in Geilo and Hensedal a lot and it's surprising how many wintery cliffs there are that don't seem to have many, if any at all, recorded winter routes on them.

I've always wondered if there is any good mixed climbing on Hallingskarvet? It looks pretty impressive and accessable from the top of the ski lifts in Geilo?
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

I´ve never heard any one talking about climbing on Hallingskarvet, but that does not mean there isn't. Hemsedal has a new winter guide book out that covers some mix climbing in the Hemsedal area. It covers the most popular or recorded routes and leave huge blanks / opportunities everywhere. Especially mixed.
OP OldProfile 11 Dec 2013
In reply to atbboy:

Brilliant, thanks for the help Jamie. I'll pack the axes then!

Any idea where we could get our hands on a car?
 Mr E 11 Dec 2013
In reply to atbboy:

The airports have lots of car hire places, i've gone with Hurtz for car hire in January from Oslo airport for the week.
OP OldProfile 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Mr Christian:

Cheers,we've got transfers included in our deal though so I'd prefer to avoid renting from the airport if possible. Also, I'd probably get absolutely lost on the way there.

The price of hiring a car for the week looks like it's going to cost more than our accomodation, flights and lift passes!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...