UKC

Enough Mandela!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wiley Coyote2 07 Dec 2013
Firstly this is not an attack on Mandela, who was by any standards a remarkable man but , especially after spending most of Friday in the car listening to the radio, I am rapidly reaching the stage where If I hear his name again I will scream. Surely an announcement on the news, a tight 15 minutes obit and perhaps a half hour special would have covered it until the funeral. Instead every reporter who ever met him seems to feel the need to give us their (usually indentical) recollections and every tuppenny hapenny politician gives us the benefit of their trite tribute in the hope of getting some integrity by association while the tv companies bombard us with endless special (sic) programmes in the belief that quantity is a substitue for quality. Enough already!
 Phil1919 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Yes, I agree, back to stories about rape and pillage.
chriz 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Phil1919:

they all seen to forget why he was sent to prison for in the first place and has made no appology for his part but expects others to own up.
 Dave Garnett 07 Dec 2013
In reply to chriz:

Do you have any idea what he was imprisoned for?
 Jon Stewart 07 Dec 2013
In reply to chriz:

yeah, Mandela eh, what a wanker...
Wiley Coyote2 07 Dec 2013

Whoa guys! This is not a thread to attack Mandela's memory. It's about the wall to wall coverage. Since almost every piece i've heard about him (and gawd knkows there have been dozens) talks of his humility i can't help feeling he'd be highly embarrassed by the fuss. and probably gently mocking too.
 Kemics 07 Dec 2013

I think it's just a slow news cycle, so they're giving it a lot of attention because not much else is going on.

Same thing with nigella Lawson trial getting so much attention. It's very trivial news bit there's nothing else happening...that sells papers anyway
Jim C 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Do you have any idea what he was imprisoned for?

As he has not answered, I guess not, but he might have looked it up by now.

gethin_allen 07 Dec 2013

I agree, they are just trying to take peoples attention away from the cricket.
 Cardi 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Kemics:

I think it was unfortunate that it happened the same day as the big storm, which would have been massive headlines for days, and has instead been sidelined despite it having a massive effect on thousands of people at home.
 Trangia 07 Dec 2013

I agree. The tributes have been paid, there was an excellent documentary on his life on BBC1 last night which really sums up why he was such a remarkable man, so the press need to let it rest now, at least until next Sunday when they can have a bonanza over the state funeral.

The press don't ever seem to be able to grasp the concept of overkill.

Lesdavmor 07 Dec 2013

I think the final nail was being praised to the heavens by Davie Cam
 Blue Straggler 07 Dec 2013

Nobody seems to have dared to put up any links to the Harry Enfield stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=ltCtUwcBtd4&
 Fat Bumbly2 07 Dec 2013
I have no problem with there being heavy coverage, but why the news blackout. Other things happened, the storm for one. There is never an excuse for single story news programmes. Domination is understandable, but not exclusivity.

The New NickB 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

That hasn't really happened though has it.
 Mike Highbury 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote: Oh I dunno, I'm thoroughly enjoying the stories of when Mandela met me.

Fat Bumbly2 07 Dec 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Has it not? Must have picked the wrong radio stations.
 Blue Straggler 07 Dec 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Maybe Fat Bumbly2 is listening to Radio 2. Their news bulletins are just under 4 minutes long. Late Thursday and all yesterday their news was only about Mandela. It was the same when Lou Reed died (though after about 12 hours they did start to include some other news stories).
I am not criticising anyone for listening to Radio 2 btw!
 The New NickB 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Maybe, I don't listen to Radio 2. The news blackout certainly hasn't been very effective on 4 and 5.
 Chris the Tall 07 Dec 2013

> Nobody seems to have dared to put up any links to the Harry Enfield stuff

A great reminder of just how unfunny Harry Enfield can be. Norbert Smith, cholmondly-Warner and the public information files were excellent, but Harry and Paul was just plain dire
 Glyno 08 Dec 2013

Mandela aside, I'm sick of hearing rubbish African 'music'.
 Al Evans 08 Dec 2013

Agree with the OP, a whole night of nothing but Mandela on the World service, no other news in the world? They even had a fashion expert talking about his dress sense. Last night was not much better, still 90% Mandela driven. Great man but there are limits to how much praise you can bestow.

I don't think it was lack of daring that stopped them. Maybe some Hale and Pace?

Mandela, shmandela. Pffffttt! Couldn't even boulder a v6.

Jon Stewart 08 Dec 2013

I considered it (Nelson Madela's Ecstasy Tablets are my favourite) but didn't dare. Oh go on then.

youtube.com/watch?v=7gy_gQeWCDY&
 Chris the Tall 09 Dec 2013

So the BBC got 850 complaints

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/09/bbc-news-nelson-mandela-compla...

Including some people who complained about Mrs Browns Boys being cut short - WTF!!

Well, I reckon they got it spot on - it was major news, a great profile of him on Friday night, and pretty much back to normal by Saturday

Although this, on Sunday, was well worth a listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03kty85
 Dave Garnett 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Wiley Coyote)
>
> Agree with the OP, a whole night of nothing but Mandela on the World service, no other news in the world? They even had a fashion expert talking about his dress sense. Last night was not much better, still 90% Mandela driven. Great man but there are limits to how much praise you can bestow.

Blimey, don't be such a grouch, Al. It's probably the most significant political death for 100 years and certainly the most significant obituary you are likely to be inconvenienced by in your lifetime.
Bingers 09 Dec 2013

I haven't read all the Mandela threads or watched the programmes, but did any of them mention what he ever did on grit?
 Robert Durran 09 Dec 2013

> Blimey, don't be such a grouch, Al. It's probably the most significant political death for 100 years and certainly the most significant obituary you are likely to be inconvenienced by in your lifetime.

Correct. And anyway, The TV coverage is no bigger than pointless shit like the X Factor or the f****** baking thing.
 ring ouzel 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Bingers:

Nothing on grit as such which is surprising given how much he had.
 Chris the Tall 09 Dec 2013
In reply to ring ouzel:

He spent a lot of time in limestone quarries though. Mind you, I heard there was lots of chipping involved.
 Postmanpat 09 Dec 2013

> Blimey, don't be such a grouch, Al. It's probably the most significant political death for 100 years

Why? He was a fine man and a leader of a movement that overthrew a nasty dictatorship in medium sized country and showed grace and magnanimity in victory. Wasn't Eastern Europe full of them at around the same time? Wasn't the 20th century full of them?

> Blimey, don't be such a grouch, Al. It's probably the most significant political death for 100 years and certainly the most significant obituary you are likely to be inconvenienced by in your lifetime.

Thatcher's was equal, Regan's too.
 Dave Garnett 09 Dec 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to Dave Garnett)
>
> [...]
>
> Thatcher's was equal, Regan's too.

Let's discuss it again in 20 years' time...
> It's probably the most significant political death for 100 years ….

That might be being a bit harsh on Ghandi, Kennedy, Martin Luther King …..
Post edited at 20:33
 Postmanpat 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Captain Fastrousers:

> > It's probably the most significant political death for 100 years ….

> That might be being a bit harsh on Ghandi, Kennedy, Martin Luther King …..

Not to mention Stalin, Hitler and Mao Tse Tung!!
 coinneach 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

That's the answer !

I propose a new TV spectacular

" I'm a dead significant politician................Get Me Out Of Here!"

Let the public ( or Simon Cowell ) decide.
 pcummins60 09 Dec 2013
I for one think he was really good in the Shawshank
Redemption, the world is a poorer place without him.
 Postmanpat 09 Dec 2013
In reply to coinneach:

> That's the answer !

> I propose a new TV spectacular

> " I'm a dead significant politician................Get Me Out Of Here!"

> Let the public ( or Simon Cowell ) decide.

"The death factor" ?
Wiley Coyote2 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

> "The death factor" ?

The Ex Factor?
 Banned User 77 09 Dec 2013

> > It's probably the most significant political death for 100 years ….

> That might be being a bit harsh on Ghandi, Kennedy, Martin Luther King …..

Kennedy?
 Postmanpat 09 Dec 2013

> The Ex Factor?

Perfect. I'd go for the a Simon Cowell role, "Well Josef, you really made that country your own", "Nelson, brilliant, I wasn't expecting that...."
Gelstat5 09 Dec 2013

I hear your Bush's,Clinton's and Obama will go to the funeral service.Their henchmen of the CIA were the ones who helped their fellow rascist institution of South Africa to capture and imprison Mandela.Yes the USA provided the info that enabled their fellow SA rascists to imprison Mandela in the first place.I wonder what they will say about that at the service.
 Postmanpat 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Gelstat5:

> I hear your Bush's,Clinton's and Obama will go to the funeral service.Their henchmen of the CIA were the ones who helped their fellow rascist institution of South Africa to capture and imprison Mandela.Yes the USA provided the info that enabled their fellow SA rascists to imprison Mandela in the first place.I wonder what they will say about that at the service.

Probably not much given that Clinton and Bush were still at high school and Obama wasn't born at the time.
Something makes me the think you've rather missed the point of this reconciliation stuff !
But never mind, welcome back ! X
 Dave Garnett 10 Dec 2013
> (In reply to Dave Garnett) > It's probably the most significant political death for 100 years ¡K.
>
> That might be being a bit harsh on Ghandi, Kennedy, Martin Luther King ¡K..

OK, I was being provocative and it's obviously silly to turn it into a pissing contest, but...

You could say that Kennedy and King were both mourned and remembered as good and well-intentioned politicians (although neither of them entirely admirable personally) who might have achieved much had they lived. I'd agree Ghandi is a comparable figure both in terms of his moral stature and his influence on the (relatively) peaceful overthrow of a imperialist/race-based regime by a popular democracy.

As for Regan, he was lucky that the USSR imploded on his watch, I doubt he really understood what was going on, although admittedly he had a natural warmth and generosity that knew when to reach out at the right time. Actually, Gorbachev would have the greater claim in terms of vision, political skill and the moral courage to risk appearing weak in order to do the right thing (but he isn't dead). As for Thatcher, she was a competent, if rather shouty and socially tone deaf, provincial council leader in comparison.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...