UKC

Tortoises

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 brownie mike 08 Dec 2013
So...

I'm looking into getting the girlfriend a tortoise for Christmas this year, and was looking for advice, information and experiences off any people who have kept tbem before? I've obviously looked into it myself, but first hand experience is always useful!

Thanks
 Padraig 08 Dec 2013
In reply to brownie mike:

I could be wrong BUT iirc they are now illegal to be sold in the UK?
When I was a lad my mate bought one. A few months later he thought it had died so he buried it.....he/we didnt know about hibernation then!
Jim C 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Padraig:

> I could be wrong BUT iirc they are now illegal to be sold in the UK?

I just looked it up and it s only the Eastern European imports that are the problem, you can buy a UK bred tortoise from a breeder.

Lots on the web about them how to buy, look after etc.
ceri 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Padraig:

Not illegal, just captive bred now so harder to get hold of.
Not owned a tortoise but I know people who have: be careful what species you get, some are easier (and smaller) than others, and remember you could be passing your new pet onto your grandchildren!
 Billhook 08 Dec 2013

What an original present!

Doesn't need to go for walkies, or exercise, doesn't need much food, or stimulation or affection. Not brilliant if you want to take it up the hill, especially in winter. doesn't do tricks or sing. spends six months of the year asleep and the other half moving extremely slowly.

Buy an imitation one, she,ll never know the difference. what's the point of a real one anyway?
 Queenie 08 Dec 2013

I think buying a pet as a gift for Christmas isn't a good idea, unless it's something she's wanted and been planning to get for some time?
 Dan_S 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:
> what's the point of a real one anyway?

They make interesting pets. They can learn to recognise their names and come when called, and can be surprisingly mobile when warm. They have their own personalities, with distinct likes and dislikes.

They're not companion animals like cats and dogs are, but you can get attached to them when you've put time in providing them the care they need. I guess it's almost a bit like having a living a science project.
 arch 08 Dec 2013

The wife has one and they're a lot of hard work. That's assuming you want to give the Tortoise the best life possible. If you just want to keep it in a vivarium and never let it out side then they are easy. If like us you like to give her time outside and look after her properly, it can be hard work. In the Summer ours has the run of the garden, but we have to watch her all the time as she could escape, not likely, but possible. She gets hand fed Mealworms every week. Gets washed regularly and when she's scratching at her cage door to come out, it's not easy to ignore. So we take her in the garden and have to stay there to keep an eye on her.

If your serious, take a look at some of the Tortoise rescue centres. They are always on the look out for new homes. But be aware, they scrutinise you very thoroughly before you get one.

...............Perfume might be a better option.
 Billhook 08 Dec 2013

More fun owning a bag of wet concrete mix.

Tom French 08 Dec 2013

Not worth it. My brother got one a few years ago, its a right nuisance. If its in the house you're always tripping over it, if its outside it wants to be inside or its trying to escape. Or doing a dump on the doorstep and marching up and down in it while you're out. Best time of the year is when it hibernates!
 Luci 08 Dec 2013

Don't do it!
My sister was lumbered with a pair of them from her buddy who runs an animal sanctuary and is skilled at palming off animals to soft hearted types. They're very, very dull, looking after them is labour intensive, and they live forever. Sister seems quite fond of them though (hipster!) :-/

Timmd 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Luci:

Tortoises are a hipster thing...who knew..?

Choss 09 Dec 2013

Tortoises are great. Been Looking for one or a pair for a While now.
 Gone 09 Dec 2013

If you are interested in reptiles, consider also leopard geckos and bearded dragons as they are easy, low maintenance pets apart from the need to get them tubs of crickets or mealworms as food. Tortoises are quite needy in comparison.

What about a small, friendly, cuddly snake? We currently have 5 snakes and we can interact with them whenever we want, but if we are going away for the the weekend they don't need anything. They get their water bowls changed every few days, and a defrosted rodent from the freezer a few times a month. And they are great for showing to Trick and Treaters come Halloween.
 MikeSP 09 Dec 2013
My parents have had one for years (since I lived at home), and it is really easy to look after.
It lives outside all year, hibernates in the compost when the weather gets cold and eats mostly salad (supplemented with some tortoise food).
The main thing is that they like to dig so you will have to secure all your fences above AND below ground. Also tipex a phone number on it's shell so when it gets found half a mile away it can be re-homed (tested).

But as mentioned above it will live for a long time, and I don't think pets make a good present as it will need looking after for years.
Post edited at 14:51
 Ushuaia 09 Dec 2013

i suggest you look at The Tortoise Trust website:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/

This will provide you with some species specific care sheets, FAQs & articles etc.

J
Ste Brom 09 Dec 2013

I know of a tortoise called Hoover.

Not named after a vacuum cleaner, but after the president at the time of his birth.
Moley 09 Dec 2013

We have 4 tortoises (my wifes) ranging in age from 12 - 100+ year old, the 55 year old hatched on her hand when she was a kid. 2 are currently hibernating in a box in the shed and the other 2 living under the woodburner, they like that, for different reasons these 2 can't hibernate for long.

They are a surprising amount of work and need looking after and feeding properly, a correct and varied diet is essential. I built ours an outdoor pen (with netting roof to keep the buzzards/goshawk off) with a kennel for night. I hate seeing them in aquariums and small indoor hutches, they are active creatures and need some space. They definitely have personalities and different ways about them also food preferences (don't just fed them lettuce, in the wild they eat everything including meat - if they find carrion). Females are probably easier than males, but I wouldn't buy one of each until you know what you are doing.

Bear in mind if you buy one for your girlfriend, it will also be for her children, grandchildren.........and longer!!! The plus is that if they hibernate you may have 3 months off 'tortoise care' every year!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...