UKC

Savage Slit video, Sat 7th December

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I've smashed together some GoPro footage from climbing Savage Slit on Saturday, my first grade V lead. All melted now unfortunately. Constructive and abusive feedback welcomed. =o)

vimeo.com/81352412
 IM 09 Dec 2013
In reply to highaltitudebarista:

nice one! i enjoyed that.
 franksnb 09 Dec 2013

nice vid, you have a steadier head than some which is good. liked seeing you place your feet and place gear.

Well Done Mate! Great Vid Looks like you Cruised It
 MrRiley 09 Dec 2013

Great stuff! I've climbed it in summer but not winter (yet) and can't decide whether it looks fantastic or desperate!
 Cameron94 09 Dec 2013

Nice video!

Can't wait to get on it in winter sometime, done it in summer and couldn't help but add it to my winter ticklist.
 Si Cox 09 Dec 2013

Good lead - you seemed calm and composed and it was a smooth ride.

Nice to see you throwing in a bit of everything, as appropriate, especially a gloved hand.

Were you wearing those Arco cold storage gloves? How did you get on with them? I find they wet out easily and then are cold.

What's the tune you have in the video? I like!
Thanks for kind responses! The route felt hard but fairly steady and in control which is how Winter climbing should be. I wouldn't wear a rucksack if I climb it again - that felt like it added a tech grade! =o) That's my last Scottish Winter trip of the year but I'm super-psyched to start building out my Scottish V experience in the new year.

Yep, I was leading in those Arco double glazing gloves and swapping to warmer gloves to belay in which worked well. I find those gloves super-dexterous and great for mixed and ice but too cold if there's lots of snow around as they do seem to end up wet and cold. Perfect for this route with temps hovering just below zero but my previous two weekends Winter climbing so far this season I've stuck to big gloves as it was too cold and snowy. I figured this out by getting the worst attack of hot aches in my life on a snowy Fingers Ride on our first route of the season!

The tune is Gramatik - Good Morning Mr. Hitchcock (it's in the end credits), the album and plenty more is available for free from www.prettylightsmusic.com.
 Denni 09 Dec 2013

Looking good Kyle!
 creag 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Denni:

2.25 Greg Boswell on Demon... Nice capture!
 Nevis-the-cat 10 Dec 2013
Looking on good on that mate - nicely filmed as well.

I've not managed to get out yet but will give you a shout - looking at second week of Jan if you are interested.
Post edited at 15:48
In reply to Jonathan Yates:
GoPro Hero 3+. I've recently upgraded from the Hero 2, the footage is loads better, it's smaller and lighter, the buttons are easier to press with gloves on and the flat lens doesn't seem to pick up scratches as easily from bashing it against the rock (touch wood). I didn't try and get any different angles as I was more concerned about getting up the route but I've got a few cool ideas to try for my next outing. Oh, and the current GoPro editing software is brilliant!

In reply to Nevis-the-cat: Sounds good matey, keep me in the loop! Is it time to get that cam out of Stirling Bridge? =o)
Post edited at 16:29
 Sweetjesus 13 Dec 2013

Awesome footage! I seconded this in the late nineties with straight picks and walking crampons! You made it look easy; I on the other hand made even seconding look extremely hard!

Good work!
Nick Barnard 13 Dec 2013

Awesome vid, if anything refreezes, make more!
 Shapeshifter 13 Dec 2013

Nice vid. I've done V ice but not mixed yet - I'd be interested in how you rate Savage Slit for a first V mixed (Gear & technicalities etc)?

Cheers
 Exile 13 Dec 2013
In reply to chubbs2:

It's a pretty good one for a first grade V mixed outing
 Shapeshifter 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Exile:

Thanks....fingers crossed for return to cold conditions.
 French Erick 13 Dec 2013
In reply to chubbs2:

It was my first V. Whilst not finding it easy at the time I got it done. Best go do it and find out. If verglassed leave it to another day.
 philhilo 17 Dec 2013
Nice job, thanks for that.
Post edited at 18:24
 HeMa 17 Dec 2013

Looks nice... too bad I blew my site on that line for Jan ;(.

Oh well, guess flash will have to do.
 Dave 88 17 Dec 2013

Who says helmet cam footage is boring, that was quality. You reckon that cam at 1:40 would've actually held anything?!
In reply to Dave 88: Thanks for the positive comments, really pleased people are digging the video! =o) The cam was ok I think, I laced the second pitch so I was a lot safer than I felt on the lead and should probably just pressed on rather than weasel that Alien in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...