UKC

google maps 45 degree view

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 09 Dec 2013
Very useful feature I found almost by accident when looking at the Kirklees Climbing website for Lindley Moor Edge (the marker just next to the M62). At a certain zoom the maps will open an option to look at 45 degrees from the 4 main compass points. Obviously very useful to look at crags. It doesn't seem to work everywhere though. Just found Bailden as well.

http://www.kirkleesclimbing.co.uk/crag_map

ChrisJD 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Bing maps also has partial UK aerial photo coverage from oblique angle. Bing Maps also gives you access to 1:25,000 OS mapping.
OP Offwidth 09 Dec 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

Cheers didn't know that either. I've just checked and you get a distorted view on Bing on 45 degree view which makes it pretty useless for looking at crags (like on the 'any compass point' google maps view); rather than a photographic image from the 4 compass points.... unless I'm missing something.
 ChrisJD 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Depends on whether the location is covered by separate images from different angles (I did say partial coverage!). e.g Sheffield works. and Stanage sort of works viewing from west. Else if tries to do its best from the top down view

You can turn off the Birdseye from the drop down menu and view normal aerial.

ChrisJD 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Also, if you download Google Earth Desktop, you can view the chronological set of aerial images (some areas also have WWII aerial photos) - there is a historical imagery button in top tool bar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...