UKC

Over the counter malaria tablets in Thailand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alex 10 Dec 2013
Hi

Does anyone know if it's easy to buy Malaria tabs over the counter in Thailand?

NHS travel nurse and GP are being predictably shit and unable to prescribe any without a 20 minute appointment, not available for 2 weeks, yadda yaddda yadda

cheers

Alex.

Pan Ron 10 Dec 2013
In reply to alex:

You can travel/live in Thailand quite happily without taking them. Getting in to the dry season so there will be fewer around anyway and a bit of repellent, a mossie net, air con, a few burnt coils and keeping the ankles covered at sunset/rise should be more than sufficient.
OP alex 10 Dec 2013
In reply to David Martin:

Cheers, but tablets are for India, just want to buy them in Thailand.
Pan Ron 10 Dec 2013
In reply to alex:

Can't say for sure but going back a few years it was as easy as walking in to the local Boots, or any of the general Thai pharmacies.

Most taxing bit will be the lengthy queue of crusty western gents stocking up on purple pills.
OP alex 10 Dec 2013
In reply to David Martin:

Hahah, yeah. I'll tack on some valium and diet pills too
 shaggypops 10 Dec 2013
In reply to alex:
Careful what you ask for........my other half bought what she presumed was canestan. Turned out to be athletes foot cream and stung a bit.......actually, stung more that a bit.

balmybaldwin 10 Dec 2013
In reply to alex:

Given the prevalence of counterfeit drugs, I wouldn't buy any in Thailand.

Try to get yourself to a travel clinic if you can't get perscription from your GP surgery
 splat2million 10 Dec 2013
In reply to alex:

There are private travel clinics that should be able to get you in sooner than your GP and don't cost all that much. I think the consultation fee was £20 for the one in Sheffield.
I'd prefer to pay a little extra and get the stuff in the UK where you can be (more or less) sure it is real. Malaria is horrible. Of course you could get it in Thailand where it is likely to be ok, but counterfeit stuff is more prevalent than in the UK - depends on what level of risk you are comfortable with.
Alternatively, if you just want a private script and don't need advice (Malarone versus doxy debate, etc.) or immunisations (I assume you have looked in to all this already!), have you tried phoning for any appointment with any GP without telling the receptionist that you want something travel related (I imagine they have a specific travel service at the GP if they are making you have a 20 minute appointment) - might be able to get a normal appointment a bit sooner.
Also, it seems not terribly reasonable to blame the GP practice for being shit if you haven't planned even 2 weeks in advance...
 Adam Lincoln 10 Dec 2013
In reply to alex:

When you going Alex? I got a load for Hampi two years ago that i never used, but are sat in a drawer in my other house.
 Dauphin 10 Dec 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Ditto.

It's not just about buying 'malaria pills' over the counter.

STA have a good service in Manchester.

D
 jack_44 10 Dec 2013
In reply to alex:

I heard of a few people buying their anti-malarials in Bangkok, a lot cheaper than in England. As long as you go to a recommended chemist I don't see a problem.

One thing to consider is India might have a different strain of malaria to Thailand. My original plan was to go from Thailand to Nepal, and used doxy for Thailand and something else for Nepal. However that plan fell through!
In reply to alex:
Why don't you ask the BMC's Information Coordinator, he should know
Post edited at 20:23
OP alex 10 Dec 2013
In reply to

Many thanks all. Hadn't thought about the counterfeit angle. Might check out a travel clinic.

In reply to alex: Yep, available from the proper chemists in the airport.
 didntcomelast 11 Dec 2013
In reply to alex:

Make sure you shop around before buying travel jabs even in this country. I was 'recommended' by my GP's surgery to use the travel clinic at Boots for my daughters yellow fever jabs. They quoted me £71 each (two daughters) and I had to pre pay due to a shortage.

Subsequently found another chemist who could get the same yellow fever jabs for £50 each.

Not surprisingly Boots have refused to refud my money despite not having had the jabs yet. ( Complaint ongoing)
 jonnie3430 11 Dec 2013
In reply to alex:

> In reply to

> Many thanks all. Hadn't thought about the counterfeit angle. Might check out a travel clinic.

I wouldn't worry about it. Go buy your drugs in a shady side street from a dingy stall and maybe, but buy them in a proper chemist and you'll get the real thing and save cash and the faff of getting them here.
 markfromstoke 11 Dec 2013
In reply to alex:

I have recently bought anti malarials on line from Lloyds chemist- filled out an on line form (who you are,where you are going and for how long)- then collected 2 days later from the chemist (they do post as well I believe)
 dogfish 11 Dec 2013
In reply to alex:

If you really feel the need to take Doxy get it from Boots or Watsons in Bangkok . Plenty of branches check online for addresses . Personally I wouldn't bother. Just try to stop getting bitten so much in the first place . I live in Thailand half the year and have spent months bouldering in Hampi India . When in Hampi grab some Himalaya antiseptic cream. Great for those grazes and cuts that never heal in tropical climates. Can't get hold of it in Thailand .
Have fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...